Author Topic: Carb trouble update  (Read 2323 times)

Offline cadwell14

• Board Regular!
Carb trouble update
« on: October 20, 2009, 03:39:57 PM »
Thur 15th - recieved call. " Carbs done, they will never be perfect as they have been butchered in the past, but she sounds and runs 10 times better. I'll have the new tyres on and MOT done by 4, so you can pick it up after then".

3.30 (same day) - "bad news started it up to do MOT and No3 carb flooded. Leave it with me until Mon and I'll take it apart again and take it out several times to check it really is ok".

Mon - picked it up. Annie who runs the office, told me she had never seen Brian so frustrated/annoyed/dissappointed/defeated; or the air so 'blue'!

So I now have a bike that looks like new, but isn't reliable enough for me too use for work; freshly taxed & MOT'ed, with new tyres.

The sensible thing would be too just sell it and cut my loses, but the stubbon side of me doesn't want too be defeated. So it looks like I'm in the market for another set of carbs.

In the mean time, I guess I've got nothing too loose, by taking them off myself and at least learning whats what and what goes where. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Ann

Offline VW_NUT

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Carb trouble update
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 03:43:31 PM »
Do you have an inline fuel filter?  I had so much trouble with floats sticking before I installed an inline filter.  No problems since.

Offline cadwell14

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 01:41:56 PM »
Don't know is the simple answer. Would I be right in thinking its something that sits either in the fuel line, or between fuel line and carbs? Where would I get one? I really want too get this bike running well and keep it long term, so I'm willing to try anything that might help.

Cheers
Ann

Offline mosquito

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 02:28:43 PM »
Yep, it's a fuel filter added to the fuel line between the tank and the carbs.  AFAIK most cut the fuel line a bit past where the fuel line crosses the carbs' vent rail -- i.e. just forward of the top, front of the carbs -- insert a fuel filter and maybe / probably add hose clamps.  They weren't stock items.

I say keep after it; you'll love it when it's happy. :)

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 06:05:27 PM »
Hi Ann,
Ive got a couple of sets of carbs if ya get suck. :motorsmile:
Chris.