Author Topic: Bike broke down. Macgyvered it home...  (Read 2245 times)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bike broke down. Macgyvered it home...
« on: July 20, 2005, 01:09:41 AM »
Just did a carb balance and changed the plugs because the bike was running piss poor (again). Went out for a spin with a friend and my bike died. How embarrassing  :sad:. Out of no where the bike decided it wouldn't rev over 2000. I couldn't get a hold of any of my buddies with trailers, so we did some road side repairs.

Turns out the bike was starving for air. Took the air box cover off and removed the filter and I was able to limp it home. Hopefully not too much crap got into my engine. It was only a 15 min ride back. Anybody know if its possible for the engine to puke oil up the breather tube and into the air box. My air filter is oily and I've never oiled it? :shock: If so, what would cause this?  

So much for riding to work on Ride to work day...  :sad:
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline todius

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 11:36:40 PM »
A little bit of oil in the airbox is normal.   When the engine is running, excess pressure buildup in the valve-train area is allowed to vent into the airbox.  This venting will carry a fine mist of oil with it which will be drawn into the engine and burned.   Obviously, more oil/air will be drawn through the breather tube at higher RPMs.

Alot of oil (puddling in the bottom of the airbox) is usually caused by overfilling the oil or a worn/broken seal on the breather assembly.  There are other possible causes like wheelieing (bike is tilted back allowing oil better access to the breather assembly).  

I've also heard that a bike that has not been run in a while can exhibit this problem.. presumably due to the rings needing to be reseated allowing more blow-by the pistons into the crankcase which in turn increased the pressure and forces oil out the breather.  Usually a good hard run will fix her up if this is the case.
-Brent

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 01:03:54 AM »
Well, I've been running the bike at higher RPMs to try and burn off the carbon deposits that were being caused by my clogged air filter. It's a vicious circle. A friend of mine pointed out that the excessive oil in the air box probably originated when I dropped my bike.  :shock:

Don't know why I didn't think of that. Live and learn.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 12:10:59 AM »
Well done mate! :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol