Author Topic: Bandit won't shift from Neutral to First  (Read 2693 times)

Offline MasterM3

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit won't shift from Neutral to First
« on: June 08, 2006, 02:49:45 PM »
Went riding today. At a stop, I tried to put the bike into first gear and it just refused to get into gear. I got fed up and the cars behind starting honking and I finally slammed the shifter down and got it into gear. The problem persisted all the way home. It will shift up to second from neutral normally, it just refuses to get into first without stomping on the shifter.

I don't know what it could be. Most transmission related problems I read about are related to a bent shift fork. Can you guys offer any suggestions?

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 03:20:59 PM »
When it does this, what happens if you put the bike in 2nd, let the clutch out just a little to move the bike forward, then try again?  

if the green light is on ( indicating neutral) and you step on the pedal to put it into first, does the light sort of flicker as you step?  

-Both- of my bikes have done this from time to time, but not consistently as you mention.  Usually it's if I stopped at a light, but didn't downshift all the way while coming to a stop.  Then the bike is in 2nd or 3rd gear or something, and I have to try to get it into first before I can go.  

Try the simple stuff first.  When was your last oil change?  Have you adjusted the clutch?
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline britxbike

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 03:45:06 PM »
Make sure your oil level is at the right level. When mine gets close to -L on the eye lit she has a hard time shifting to First. Same thing with my 83' GS I had.
01' 1200s GO HUSKERS!

Offline MasterM3

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 03:47:14 PM »
hmm, oil was changed less than 1000 miles ago. I'll check on it though.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 04:09:27 PM »
hmm, oil was changed less than 1000 miles ago. I'll check on it though.

And the clutch adjustment.  The procedure is described in the maintenance section of the service manual.

Also, try to avoid stomping on the gear shift lever. That's asking to bend something (or break the link rod)
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline MasterM3

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 04:22:23 PM »
lol, i got too frusterated when the car behind started to honk. i'll be gentle from now on. I promise  :lol:

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 04:37:59 PM »
lol, i got too frusterated when the car behind started to honk. i'll be gentle from now on. I promise  :lol:

Believe me, she'll pay you back in kind.  Be nice to her on the delicate parts, and she'll be nicer to you.  :stickpoke:  Be mean to her, and you'll never hear the end of it.

In a pinch, with a little more gas and feathering of the clutch, I suspect that you might have been able to throw it into 2nd and gone....

On the 919, I've also been known to find myself in 4th gear taking off from a light.   :shock:  I didn't think a bike had that sort of grunt to be able to do that without burning up the clutches.  I did it twice the other day when I rode.  Once in 3rd and once in 4th.  Then I went home and went to bed, cos I obviously wasn't with it enough to be on the road.

God that's loud when they honk at you.  I get the urge to carry an air horn for just those purposes, and come up alongside them and blast it.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 08:12:44 AM »
Hi M3 ,
           I had this problem with my B4 and found it to be the central clutch nut slightly loose . Its alot of work to check so make sure the problem is worth it , and if you check and its not this please dont give me stick! .

Chris H