Author Topic: Blew up my bike  (Read 6427 times)

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
Blew up my bike
« on: September 06, 2005, 11:01:36 AM »
Some of you may remember a couple of posts from me a while back about my bike not running right.
   Well this last weekend I got the time to tear it down so I can start into the engine.  What I found was when I changed the oil for the first time after I bought it I didn't pull the right plug to drain the oil, I pulled the one right above the header on the front of the oil pan not the one dead center on the bottom.  Long story short didn't drain all of the oil, refilled it and boom way too much oil in the engine.   Soo anyone have anythings to watch for as I tear into the engine to adjust valves,and check the condition of my cylinders.  I would have probably just blown the rings right?  Should I be able to just replace the rings and get it going again as long as the cylinders aren't all scratched up there is only 9000 miles on the engine.

Thanks,
Shawn
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
Blew up my bike
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 01:31:34 PM »
It depends on how much oil was actually in the bike. If you had enough to hydrolock it, you may have bent the rods. I don't believe the starter would have enough power to do that, though. If the engine actually -started- and ran for a bit before 'BOOM', you may have problems.

If the engine didn't start, you -may- be able to drain the oil and refill it with the proper amount and then go about your business as if nothing happened.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
Blew up my bike
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 01:36:31 PM »
Well the starter was able to crank it over,  I was riding when I lost two of the cylinders #2, #3 are very low on compression 50psi or so.  The bike has run since then just not very well. It won't idle has to be around 3500- 4000 to stay running, no power but no loud noises or anything were ever made just a sudden loss of power while riding it.
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
Blew up my bike
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 02:27:19 PM »
Head gasket, more than likely. At least, that'd be what I'd check first.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
Blew up my bike
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 04:20:11 PM »
Thank you for your suggestions, I will be tearing the engine down over the next day or two and will get back.

Shawn
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
Blew up my bike
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 06:57:26 PM »
Well the engines apart
The cylinder walls look fine no noticible scoring or anything like that.

There is a lot of carbon build up on cylinders 2 and 3 way more than on #1 and 4 , #2 and #3 were the two cylinders low on compression.

The head gasket looked like it needed replacing everything else looks fine.

What should I do next anyone know?
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Blew up my bike
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 07:31:02 PM »
Buy a 442 cc kit and put it back together! :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
Blew up my bike
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 07:52:03 PM »
Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"
Buy a 442 cc kit and put it back together! :beers:

Well, that'd be ideal, yes...  :lol:

I'd clean up all the parts, removing the carbon and such, and start putting it back together. While you've got her apart, check your cam chain tensioner and valve adjustment. She'll probally run better than ever now that all the carbon is out!

Quote from: "SRwitt"
There is a lot of carbon build up on cylinders 2 and 3 way more than on #1 and 4 , #2 and #3 were the two cylinders low on compression.

I'm supposing the carbon buildup is on the heads/valves? Make sure there isn't any carbon on the -backside- of those valves! It's quite possible that carbon buildup there was causing a valve not to seat fully, resulting in a loss of compression. Severe carbon buildup can do that.

As for what causes carbon buildup? Usually an incorrect mixture adjustment, probally -way- rich, or the engine being run for a long time with poor spark plugs that resulted in an unclean burn. Lugging the motor and not getting her into the powerband can do it too. Some people are afraid of Revs, but on engines that are built for them, low revs can actually be worse (carbon buildup).

As a plus, at least you are getting all the carbon cleaned out! If a chunk had broken off on the highway and fallen into the combustion chamber, you'd could be in bad shape.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
Blew up my bike
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 01:52:18 AM »
The carbon build up is most noticable on the pistons themselves.  I can actually see the contours of the tops of the piston on 1 and 4 but 2 and 3 are heavily built up.  The build up on the heads and valve area doesn't look too bad. I plan on readjusting the valves once its back together.

Maniac what specifically should I check with the tensionser.  

I'm almost positive the mixture isn't too rich.  It ran fine after I bought it other than it had sit for a winter.  I am definately not afraid to rev it either.  The problems started after I changed the oil for my first time using the wrong plug to drain the pan.  

Thanks Again
Shawn
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
Blew up my bike
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 08:25:32 AM »
Quote from: "SRwitt"
Maniac what specifically should I check with the tensionser.  

I'm almost positive the mixture isn't too rich.  It ran fine after I bought it other than it had sit for a winter.  I am definately not afraid to rev it either.  

Not saying you are, but this is probally the first time someone's had that head off. Sometime in it's life the mixture was either off, or something happened to cause bad carbon buildup. I suppose if the head gasket had been blown for a while, that could do it too...

Basically just check the tensioner for operation, make sure the spring is still good and it's not worn out. Chance are it's fine since you haven't mentioned any rattling, but since you've got her apart it can't hurt to check.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline mtbcrazy

• TURBO TYPER!
    • My 1992 Bandit
Blew up my bike
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 09:28:55 AM »
I don't know much about engines, but could the blown head gasket let air into 2 and 3 and cause them to run lean?  Or vice-versa, 1 and 4 and the carbs were set up so that 1 and 4 ran correctly, but with them pulling air in through the gasket and 2 and 3 not, then 2 and 3 would run rich.

Or, did all that carbon on the 2 and 3 piston cause the pressure to go UP in those cylinders until the head gasket blew?

OR, was there so much oil pressure that the oil was pushed past the rings and that is where the carbon came from?  Then, cylinder pressure increases and it blows the gasket?

Like I said, I don't know much about engines.  Maybe there is no way to tell and you just fix the symptoms.  (not a very satisfying answer for my analytical head).  :shock:

Ron

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
Blew up my bike
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 09:52:57 AM »
Any of those three are a valid scenario.

Did the head gasket blow because the compression ratio was raised by the carbon? Depends on how much carbon and how high the compression ratio went. This is realtivly unlikely, though, since it'd probally take a lot of carbon to do it.

Did the carbon form do to the engine sucking in air through the blown head gasket? Possible! This is actually probally the most likely scenario, in my opinion.

The carbon -could- have come from oil being pushed passed the rings, but from my understanding he didn't drive it a lot with the overfilled condition. For a lot of carbon to build up, it'd take a while. However if enough oil made it's way into the combustion chamber, it's wholly possible that it was what caused the head gasket to blow.

Determining the exact cause may be really difficult, the important thing at this point is that he's cleaing the combustion chambers and installing a new gasket. It'd be a little easier to diagnose if we knew -when- the gasket had blown. The bike will probally run a lot better afterwards.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline SRwitt

• Board Homesteader!
Blew up my bike
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 10:42:59 AM »
The scenario I thought most of was the oil pushing past the rings after over filling.  But why would it be just the two cylinders that have so much carbon, I figured all of them would be like that.  Oh well gonna make up a parts list and go to the shop to order them up.  Another week of waiting now.
Shawn
2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L
1991 Suzuki Bandit 400

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Blew up my bike
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 06:14:45 AM »
Quote from: "Maniac"
Did the carbon form do to the engine sucking in air through the blown head gasket? Possible! This is actually probally the most likely scenario, in my opinion.

I disagree!

If you were sucking AIR you'd be running lean and carbon wouldn't build up. You might burn a hole in the head of a piston, but you wouldn't get carbon buildup.

Now, if you were sucking MIXTURE between the two cylinders, maybe, but the vacuum of both of those cylinders would be weak, so they wouldn't draw a normal mixture.

Does the B4 have oil passages between the block and head that would be sealed by the head gasket? If so, and the gasket blew near one of these passages, oil could be sucked into cylinders and cause carbon buildup at minor stages.

More likely though, either #2 & 3 are richer than #1 & 4 or there is an oil consumption problem from valves, guides, rings or scored cylinder walls - or a combination of these.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
Blew up my bike
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 09:30:58 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"

I disagree!

You know, now that I think of it, your right. Sucking air would have leaned the mixture and burned the valves/pistons. Since we're not seeing that, then there must be another cause for the carbon.

I don't -believe- the engine block has oil passages in it, since there are external oil lines visible. However those may be feeder lines with the oil running back down through the block to the crankcase, I'm not sure.

Best advice I can give is to clean everything up, inspect it for wear, and if it's OK put it back together. Was the bike using oil? It was never mentioned, so I'm going to guess it probally wasn't really using enough to be noticable. Either way, once it's back together I forsee a carb tune and balance in it's future.

2008 GSXR-750