Author Topic: raising the dead  (Read 2749 times)

Offline ratfink3000

• Board Regular!
raising the dead
« on: January 16, 2007, 05:13:30 AM »
I'm buying back my 1993 bandit 400 after it went through a string of owners, suffering a lot of (mainly cosmetic) damage along the way. They were trying to run it with no gasket under the clutch cover, etc . . .
Anyhow, the only remaining problem I can't fathom is the electric start. Providing juice to the starter solenoid makes it go first time, good fat sparks on all four. I am the world's least competent auto electrician though . . . what might be wrong with it? I'm going to go over the whole thing in the next week I have off, and get it back in fighting trim.
"a fast motorcycle is just the continuation of evolution by other means"

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
raising the dead
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 09:32:29 AM »
Either I misread or you left something out. Starting first try with big fat sparks on all four doesn't sound like a problem to me... but it is early and I havent had a coffee yet.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline ratfink3000

• Board Regular!
raising the dead
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 05:18:46 PM »
sorry for the mis info mate, i wrote that after a few hours of working on another suzuki (gsx 250) and the gas fumes must have got into my brain. The point is that when u press the starter nothing happens. You have to manually connect the neg and pos to the solenoid to get it kicking. But the switch itself is fine, jigged it up to a circuit turning on and off a little lite bulb - all ok. I have had the suggestion to re-route the starter so the switch is down by the battery like on a hawg, but that's not really aesthetically pleasing . . .

Also if anyone knows, will a bandit 400 run without any dials?
Like if you just remove them, is there any kind of electric feedback loop shizzle that makes the bike then not operate?
(I have a remote speedo, little digital thing works on air resistance, and the hell with the tach, I can hear the engine noise. Want to give the bike a sort of chopped look)

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
raising the dead
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 05:44:55 PM »
starter relay :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
raising the dead
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 06:59:35 PM »
Check the safety switches a dirty clutch switch or side stand switch could also cause that problem (i think, but I don't have the wiring diagram infront of me...)
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline ratfink3000

• Board Regular!
raising the dead
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 07:25:15 PM »
thanks to both of you for your suggestions! When this bike rides again it will be thanks to folks like you!!!!

Offline ratfink3000

• Board Regular!
raising the dead
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 05:03:41 AM »
:motorsmile:

IT LIVES!!!! hahahahahahaaaaa! Igor, connect the terminals! Its.....aliiiive!

Oh yeah, thanx to your help the 400 rides again! It was the stand switch after all, and with a bit of crc it's blowing flames.

My only problem now is that when the poor bugger got crashed, the stator cover got mashed. Two of the bolt housings for the allen key bolts are shattered!

After two days of filing and re-gasketting and trying to make bits out of knead-it it still wizzes oil like an incontinent robot.

But I will persevere. Everything else is going sweetly . . .expect a photo sometime soon.

And big props to Maunder Suzuki in Whagarei, Northland, NZ for getting in a vital part overnight.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
raising the dead
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 12:50:55 PM »
i have a cover!
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline ratfink3000

• Board Regular!
raising the dead
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 04:23:17 AM »
nice one! The leak has been reduced to a trickle, and today i took the bandit back to my lair, travelling across auckland's harbour bridge. With clean carbs and new plugs it simply howls! Even without the final aesthetic mods (paint and xxxtra chrome  :grin: ) this is the kind of fun that makes all the mech bizzo worth it!