Author Topic: Can someone explain my dead carb to me?  (Read 2340 times)

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Can someone explain my dead carb to me?
« on: August 24, 2006, 08:45:44 PM »
Here's my sitch. Found #4 carb on my new-to-me 93 B4 broken. Someone had snapped the front-right corner off the top cap and vacuum chamber(? are that hold vacuum to pull the slide up). THey fixed it with j-b or something, bolloxed up the whole vacuum nipple in the process.

I'm thinking well, it can't be that bad cause the bike runs alright... I proceed with my valve adjust and attempt to sync 1&2 and then 2&3. So that goes really well and it running real smooth now. For kicks and grins I pull the plugwire on 4, guess what -- NOTHING :banghead:  That's right, #4 isn't running at all. But the carb sync linkage is so far out of whack that the thing is now idling at 4K and to bring it down I have to futz with my sync until it mellows out to 15-1800 or so.

So I figure #4 carb is screwed. But its not... sort of. I can see the slide working when I goose it, so its pulling at least SOME vacuum. And its pulling fuel cause I can cover the intake with my hand and it'll flood the carb with gas, but that cylinder isn't running, so far as I can tell. Of course I can't put a vacuum hose on it so see how far out of sync it really is. Maybe it IS running, but is so out of whack that is not really contributing anything to the mix.

I'm so depressed :crybaby:

Okay, Obviously I need to replace that carb body. But I'm still concerned that something else is going on with #4. Yes its getting spark and the plug itself actually like just like the others. wah?

I guess I'm just bitching and moaning at this point. meanwhile, I hope Krautwagen will sell me his carbs.

A

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 08:51:49 PM »
iyeager or somtjing to that sort  has gsxr400 carbs for sale i think! You can manually synce the carbs to get them closs take them off look at the butterflys and adjust the screw lmao
cheers
Jay
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 09:19:56 PM »
thanks. still crying in my beer.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 09:39:28 PM »
Did you f-up the plug wire pulling it off?  It's REAL easy to do.  These things get super-brittle over the years.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 09:44:53 PM »
yeah, I thought of that, but no. Actually, I pulled the wire apart on #3, but it went back together real clean. AFAICT, #4 wire is in good shape. I WILL double check it however. thanks.