Author Topic: Question about re-assembly  (Read 5377 times)

Offline stefanoascari

• TURBO TYPER!
Question about re-assembly
« on: July 14, 2012, 12:53:57 PM »
Hi,
I just cleaned the carbs and am re-assembling stuff. I noticed a hose line from the coolant going back towards the where tank sits but I'm not sure what it connects to... It seems like all the connections are taken (?) Am I missing something?

Offline TJS

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Question about re-assembly
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 01:04:19 PM »
Need a picture for a response.
More Bandit 400 stuff on my youtube:
https://youtube.com/c/StanleysGarage369

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 10:59:54 AM »
Best guess would be to check the nipple under the coolant cap. There should be an overflow that runs to the (duh) overflow by the battery. IIRC it runs next to the airbox on the way back and up to the filler neck.

Whatever you do: make sure you don't pinch that hose under the tank and above the coil: you spit coolant and possibly overheat.

Offline stefanoascari

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 03:37:08 PM »
I couldn't take a picture. But here is a slide from the manual with the hose circled.

http://imgur.com/e6m37
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:55:46 PM by stefanoascari »

Offline Nickelodeon

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 04:53:45 PM »
lol...it's  just an air/vent hose. You can run it anywhere. I think mine actually runs into a "T" around swingarm pivot on the right side of the bike where it joins up with another overlow/vent hose....

There's actually a stamped metal "ring" on the right side of the bike next to the oil pan that you can route these hoses through but I've never used it...I just let the stuff dangle further back, near the swingarm pivot.

I don't know if my hoses were clipped on my bike but they seemed a tad short for the bracket/ring when fed through and pointed funny so that anything oozing out it ran on the header and I didn't like that...(I think the other hose is from the gas tank vent...so gas on header...not good)

I just eyeballed them and zip tied them so they didn't spill out in front of the rear tire.

Anyway, it's not critical. Good Luck.

Offline stefanoascari

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 06:39:14 PM »
Ok. thanks. How do you get the air box back on? I'm talking about connecting it to the carbs.  I have been fighting for the last 45 minutes and the darn things just don't want to fit on.

Offline Nickelodeon

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 09:00:13 PM »
In my case, I made sure I opened the clamps around the boots as much as possible AND oriented them so that I could reach them easily from underneath the airbox. I had the two on the left pointing out the left side of the bike, underneath the airbox, same on the two on right.

Basically I muscled it on after that...kinda working it left and right once it got started until fully seated. It's not something you can do gently, you have to muscle it.

Offline AlanDog

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 11:40:55 PM »
Ok. thanks. How do you get the air box back on? I'm talking about connecting it to the carbs.  I have been fighting for the last 45 minutes and the darn things just don't want to fit on.

I used tire installation lubricant I had bought from Napa ('RuGLYDE') which is made to lubricant rubber. Popped right in. It was like $15 for a gallon. It works great for tires, btw! I guess the cheap alternative would be some water with a little dish soap in it... probably just spread a little around the mating surfaces with your finger, as you obviously don't want excess water going into the carbs.

Offline stefanoascari

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 11:09:02 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I was able to get it on somewhat. The two outer ones are on all the way but the two inner ones are partially on. It has been tightened. Would it be all right to leave it like this or should I keep trying? I tried to use some grease to lubricate it.

Offline stefanoascari

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 12:08:18 PM »
Help?

Offline AlanDog

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 01:56:35 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I was able to get it on somewhat. The two outer ones are on all the way but the two inner ones are partially on. It has been tightened. Would it be all right to leave it like this or should I keep trying? I tried to use some grease to lubricate it.

Well, you could fire up the bike and check for leaks by spraying carb cleaner on the joints, if the rpm doesn't change you're good. When I assembled mine it was pretty easy to take on and off with the rubber lubed, so I'd try the diluted dish soap if you really want to get it to seat correctly.

Offline Unique

• Board Homesteader!
    • unique/bandit400blog
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 09:19:52 AM »
I wouldn't leave the air box like that,  keep trying'  Do as Nickelodeon says in reply # 6. And you need to start the air box off, with all four together, evenly-equally-line-up as straight as you can to the carbs mouths as possible! Perhaps moving the air box up and down a bit as well as left to right.
using bit of lube will help as well.

I've had the air box off and on many time' Sometime it just goes straight on and other times I nearly come to through it across the workshop floor, if you get too this point walk away and come back bit later it probably goes straight on? .

Offline stefanoascari

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 10:07:20 AM »
I finally got it on! Yes. You are right. It takes a lot of wiggling. Oddly enough, it just popped on.

That. Was. Frustrating!! But now it's on.

Thanks!