Author Topic: washed the bike now sluggish  (Read 2876 times)

Offline fireburster

• Board Homesteader!
washed the bike now sluggish
« on: June 04, 2010, 01:06:30 PM »
So i washed and waxed the bike sunday. Today was the first day i didnt rain that i could ride it. It wouldnt start, then started but was really low idle with choke on. Got on it and rode up the street but full throttle was only going 40mph nothing more. Im thinking spark plug cables maybe are just old and the water affected them.

What cables do i need to buy? Now pic on the oem shows wires just everything else. I know my 3 has been replaced as its a straight not right angle plug now.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Re: washed the bike now sluggish
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 10:10:30 PM »
Happened to me the other day as well, part of my track day prep is a wash and I was surprised the bike ran as crappy as it did after. Never did it before.

It cleared up after a short ride but I was a bit more liberal with the hose and the suds at the top of the engine versus normal. I think it cooked all of the moisture out.

I used some generic wires from Poop Boys in 7mm and just screwed them into the stock ends/coils. Been fine except for that last wash going on 5 years now.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 11:02:31 AM »
Did you have any problems getting the wire into the stock caps? I have 7mm wire and for the life of me I can't get it to screw into the caps. Grrrr.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 10:15:14 PM »
Screwed right in for me Mike...

8mm is too big (tried it) 7mm was perfect.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 12:34:05 PM »
Thanks!That was all the info I needed. Turns out the plug cap I was trying to screw the wire into had the core from the old wire stuck in it. I fished it out and it works.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline fireburster

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 11:41:19 AM »
well found out plug 3 cap came off again. Got that fixed now works great. Thanks for the 7mm wire tip, ill go look for some.