Author Topic: Delayed spark  (Read 3443 times)

PUGLIA

Delayed spark
« on: August 05, 2013, 02:53:25 PM »
Anybody ran into an issue with a delayed spark?  Bike sat for ten years. Pulled the carbs, cleaned the tank, put new plugs in. Bike cranks like no tomorrow. But won't fire. Pulled a plug to check for spark and get nothing while turning over the bike. Then just after it stops cranking I get good spark from the plug. It's like it's storing up spark then releasing after it stops turning over? Anyone got any ideas on this one? I'm going to start testing the coils today and trying to hunt the issue down. Was wondering if anyone has run into this before.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Delayed spark
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 03:54:53 PM »
Make sure the battery is good!

Sounds like there is not enough voltage/current to turn the starter AND fire the plugs.

It should measure close to 13.4 volts with no load. You can also check the voltage while cranking and see how much it drops.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

PUGLIA

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 04:13:02 PM »
Battery is brand new and fully charged. Ive been doing some searching in the forum and found some info. But can anyone tell me where the pick up coil is?

Offline Mechannibalism

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 05:31:04 PM »
Since it sat for 10 yrs I would check the Ignition switch first, then the Ing. module, I doubt it's the pick up coil.

Offline PUGLIA

• Board Regular!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 08:06:58 PM »
By ignition module do you mean cdi?

Offline PUGLIA

• Board Regular!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 09:06:48 PM »
Got the cdi apart got some caps. Does anyone know if you can use 10uf 35v instead of 10uf 50v caps. I have 10uf 50v caps but they are the non polarized kind and much larger.

Offline Mechannibalism

• Board Regular!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 09:43:45 PM »
yes I mean CDI.  The 50V rating on the cap doesn't matter but you should use a polarized cap  if the Neg on it is connected to ground circuit .....there cheap

Offline PUGLIA

• Board Regular!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 09:51:32 PM »
Ok I got both voltages but I got the polarized ones in the 35v.

Offline Mechannibalism

• Board Regular!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 09:52:22 PM »
When you do get a spark out of it is it multiple sparks or just one ?

Offline PUGLIA

• Board Regular!
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 10:19:06 PM »
Just 1 and only out of 1 plug. I've had multiple plugs out at the same time and a friend holding them against the casing. I've checked the coils the  signal generator and the wires. Also the kick stand switch and the kill switch. Everything is pointing to the CDI it seems. So I have the CDI apart I will see if I can fix it and go from there. I appreciate the help. I will let you know how it turns out.