Author Topic: Carb tuning for GSXR  (Read 8361 times)

Offline kako

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Carb tuning for GSXR
« on: October 14, 2007, 01:53:48 PM »
soooo... ii got my little bike home but used a truck to get it there. the boys at the bike shop told me it wasn't running to well... i just think the carbs need adjustments. but its weird. my bike will only run with choke on. and when i turn it off the right side pipe (i have twin pipes) has a little smoke come out.. and smells weird.. but the other smells fine and no smoke.. i thought there was a carb tuning sticky.. but i couldn't find it. and do i need to take my tank off to tune the carbs? oh... and how do you tune the carbs... i only have experience on rc cars
Kev
GSXR 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Carb tuning for GSXR
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 03:29:11 PM »
sounds like you need to clean the carbs maybe put carb kits in them maybe a fuel filter sounds like the pilot jets are clogged or your plugs are fouled?
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Carb tuning for GSXR
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 03:46:36 PM »
maybe you need to read this one?
carb info
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline kako

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Carb tuning for GSXR
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 03:55:43 PM »
welll... i think its might be some tuneing because this bike when from 340 feet above sea level to. 3400 feet above.. would that make a difference... also.. were are the spark plugs? i cant find them... im use to a small block chevy.. ps to i have to pull the gas tank to tune the carbs?
Kev
GSXR 400

Offline kako

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Carb tuning for GSXR
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 04:02:17 PM »
it also went from high humidity to relatively low
Kev
GSXR 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Carb tuning for GSXR
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 08:51:14 PM »
gas tank and air box what a nice air box it is , plugs are on the head near the two big black water hoses that go into the head
cheers

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Carb tuning for GSXR
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 08:51:56 PM »
Plugs are in the top of the valve cover, inside wells.
The altitude change isn't a major one, but it can contribute to the bike wanting to run a little leaner.

Try to ID what the smoke is. You can usually tell by smell if it's gas, oil or coolant. You can also tell by color. Coolant will usually be white and smell a little sweet if there's anti-freeze in it. Oil will be blue and smell like oil, gas will be grey to black and if it's not stale, smell like gas. If the gas is old, it'll smell really bad.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline kako

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Carb tuning for GSXR
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 10:11:27 PM »
k i will be sure to read all of that. i went out and started it. (it starts really really easy) and the smell is always theres.. even when bike is turned off... it kinda smells like my car.. which i think has a bad catalytic converter..its sour almost. my car is also running a little rich. also it idles around 1000-2000 rpm. and has a lumpy idle.. much like my car(lumpy cam with 500 rpm idle.) also we just put in fresh gas.. because thats what we thought was. but im not 100% sure how fresh because it might have been off my dads quad. isnt the tank really heavy with a full tank of gas? which is the pilot jet? i will try and turn that in.. because thats what the old owner said i might need to turn it in, its at 2 turns out right now.
Kev
GSXR 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Carb tuning for GSXR
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 12:27:03 AM »
the 73 does have a cat on it where it conects from the 4into 1 then goes to 2 but i doubt its that fuels screw its been a minute but i think they are on the bottom of the carbs some one here will say if im right or wrong. pilot jet is the small on next to the main jet in the float bowl. Best to pull the plugs and se what they look like first before you adjust things but again it starts fine on chole but once you shut choke off it dies?

Offline kako

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Carb tuning for GSXR
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 12:42:28 AM »
ya. i have been reading more.. and a different forum said rich= black smoke and smells like gas... and lean= smells sour/bad... and burns the eye.. and i till you... after that last smell test.. they burn.. but i will check the plugs for white when i take the tank off tomorrow... sooo jay. how hard is it tp gut this cat? umm is there a good way to take the tank off?? plus mines fullll of fuel..
Kev
GSXR 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Carb tuning for GSXR
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 12:48:11 AM »
not hard when i had that exhaust i cut it open twice once to gut it and once to put a channel back in it takes a lot of weight out to that pipe weighs something like 40 pounds with two carbon cans i had. Its a boat anchor, as for the tanks take the seat off unbolt the one bolt that holds the tanks and take the fuel line off the fuel valve and then take the vent hose off the fuel valve and lift the tanks off real easy

Offline kako

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Carb tuning for GSXR
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 10:13:04 PM »
k well got everything apart.. and tuned around with those screws bottom on the carbs... they were 4-5 turns out... hmmm.   doesnt seem right.. so i turned them 2 out... but i wanted to start it up tonight.. but f bomb.. the air box is being a homo and wont go back on... any tips  jay? ps will post pics of plug soon.. but as a teaser.. it wasnt running lean... :duh:
Kev
GSXR 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Carb tuning for GSXR
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 10:17:21 PM »
no mate sorry mine came with pods i hear its a bitch , and i had got one to try with my flatslides but that is next year may want to try www.400greybike.co.uk for the answer on the air box tips. on the other hand 4 turns out is a lot and let me know if you have any more issues and cant wait to see the plugs i suspect the usual carb oring issues float needle problem that come with these carbs must be something in the fuel anymore that is eating these orings

Offline kako

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Carb tuning for GSXR
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 11:13:56 PM »
Kev
GSXR 400

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
Carb tuning for GSXR
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 05:00:48 AM »
put some lube on the rubbers before you try fitting it vaseline or similar.