Author Topic: Fork Questions...  (Read 3858 times)

Offline VW_NUT

• Board Homesteader!
Fork Questions...
« on: April 19, 2008, 10:13:33 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I have some for questions for you guys.  I am trying to get some ideas for Hangin_Biposto's front forks.  What diameter are the front springs?  I believe the lightest .80kg/mm springs that race tech sells will be too stiff, so I am trying to find the diameter so I can have a friend get me some a different bike.

How do the forks work with stiffer springs and the stock damper rod?  Or is it worth getting the racetech emulators.  Keep in mind this is for a rider thats 110-115 lbs with gear.  Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. (also if the emulators don't do much the $150 would be better spent elsewhere on the project.)

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Fork Questions...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 08:00:08 PM »
IIRC when I plugged into the Racetech website a while ago, the b4's spring rate was like .574 or something ridiculous like that. You can also cut off portions of the progressive spring to up the rate as well (known as the NCRick mod on the MaxZuk boards).

A fresh rebuild to stock specs and send her out is what I would recommend first and go from there since she is so light.

A couple of threads that you may be interested in:

http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=5523.0
http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=6156.0

-Randy

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 08:20:51 AM »
I think 0.8kg/mm wouldn't be too bad, I've got some '98 R1 springs in my bandit (here's my old post on it: http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=7543.0 )that are 0.77kg/mm and they're good, a bit stiffer might be better, but I'm 80kg. Depends on what the rider wants, I guess. The stock bandit spring outer dia is 35.3mm from what I measured. I know kawasaki z750s springs fit, but they're about 1.08kg/mm and seemed way to stiff.

Other than the springs, my forks are standard (standard 10wt oil as well). I don't know how emulators would affect things. Mine are good enough for me (but then I haven't ridden anything better for any length of time).
Maybe since your friend is light, the rear shock will be ok, but for me it was bottoming out (felt really harsh on sharp bumps) and the exhaust was scraping on corners. I'd suggest thinking about a different rear shock before getting emulators.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 04:05:11 PM »
Emulators rule :stickpoke:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline VW_NUT

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 07:56:04 PM »
Thanks for the info guys!  We have a bandit 1200 rear shock, so that should be an improvement over the stock one.

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 02:59:19 PM »
hagon do progressive springs for the bandit 400.  They are not very expensive.  Im ordering some shortly from www.wemoto.com.

HTH
If you cant join them, beat them...

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 03:21:01 PM »
What emulators fit the GK73 forks jay not sp ones just the standard 73 ones

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 05:04:05 PM »
rgv or the bandit ones id have to look again
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline VW_NUT

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 09:48:08 AM »
I think 0.8kg/mm wouldn't be too bad, I've got some '98 R1 springs in my bandit (here's my old post on it: http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=7543.0 )that are 0.77kg/mm and they're good, a bit stiffer might be better, but I'm 80kg. Depends on what the rider wants, I guess. The stock bandit spring outer dia is 35.3mm from what I measured. I know kawasaki z750s springs fit, but they're about 1.08kg/mm and seemed way to stiff.

Other than the springs, my forks are standard (standard 10wt oil as well). I don't know how emulators would affect things. Mine are good enough for me (but then I haven't ridden anything better for any length of time).
Maybe since your friend is light, the rear shock will be ok, but for me it was bottoming out (felt really harsh on sharp bumps) and the exhaust was scraping on corners. I'd suggest thinking about a different rear shock before getting emulators.
If the outside diameter of the stock spring is 35.3mm, I should be able to fit a 36mm spring in there right?

A local shop has a bunch of .7 springs just laying around.  I figure a .7 with a little pvc preload should be about right.  Stock oil weight is 10W right?

Thanks again! You guys are so much help.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 09:49:41 AM by VW_NUT »

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 05:09:09 PM »
From my notes, I measured the fork tube inner dia as 36.2mm approximately (I think my calipers didn't reach past the thread in the top, so it was only approximate).

The R1 springs in mine are 35.8-35.9mm OD and only just fit. I think springs increase in diameter slightly when they're compressed, so I was a bit worried they might be too tight a fit, but they seem fine.

You'd have to try the 36mm springs to see if they fit, it sounds like it'd be close.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 01:13:06 PM »
mine came with tl springs cut down to fit before i changed my front end