Author Topic: Christmas came a day early in Toronto  (Read 1663 times)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Christmas came a day early in Toronto
« on: December 24, 2006, 07:14:54 PM »
Nope, I didn't get another bike for x-mas. But I was lucky enough to get out for a nice ride on Dec. 24. +7 celcius, sunny, no snow... after 2 weeks of not riding, I almost can't wipe the grin off my face. Yay global warming.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:54:53 PM by interfuse »
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 02:45:33 PM »
Yep, did a midnight run last night. A little chillier, at 30°F (-1.1111111111111112°C, according to the Fahrenheit to Celsius Converter), but I was geared up for it. Been fairly warm all week here too. Just had the B4's carb's cleaned out, and she's running like a champ.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 10:50:33 PM »
+1 is cold. If you dress right you're okay, except your hands get cold. I don't have heated grips, but if I was planning on doing a lot of cold weather riding I'd be investing.

I cleaned my air filter that day. Man what a difference that made. I probably should have done that a while ago.  :duh:

I'm still hoping for another nice day during the holidays so I can do the brakes, change the oil and lube the chain. Then I should be set until next spring.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 11:26:19 PM »
>>+1 is cold. If you dress right you're okay, except your hands get cold. I don't have heated grips, but if I was planning on doing a lot of cold weather riding I'd be investing.<<

I'd love to get heated grips too, but the big problem is the B4's electrical. I believe it's listed at 250 watts, and most of that is spoken for. I do use a Widder vest when it gets really cold (~-6.6°C), and at 22 watts it doesn't seem to tax the system. I think the vest AND grips (which are typically around 22-35 watts) would be too much for the 'lil bugger.

So far I've had good luck with a combo of TourMaster Elite winter gloves, a set of (relatively thin) motorcycle handlebar mitts my friend brought back from Japan (which are only identified as GWSPORT), and a National Cycle Plexistar II windshield, which gives decent wind protection to the hands:

The only real problem in the cold for me are the levers, they chill your fingers. That's where I'd love to have heated grips. Hopefully I can find an SV650 I've been looking for a while now (a red 2001 model) which will have an electrical system that can handle both the vest and grips. With that and the rest of my cold weather gear setup, I'll probably be good down to ~-9.4°C. :bandit: