Author Topic: Cleaned carbs. Now sometimes it won't run faster than idle.  (Read 4928 times)

Offline danger716

• TURBO TYPER!
Before the carb cleaning, the bike would hesitate between 5000 and 6000 rpms.  I thought it had plenty of power until I cleaned the carbs.  2 jets were gunked up and the floats and bowls were tarnish form old gas.  After putting it back together it ran great.   I had good throttle response, revved up nice and fast.  When I tried to go for a test ride, I couldn't get the rpms above idle, even with the throttle wide open.  If I let off the throttle it would die. I had it running like this for 15 minutes (full throttle and the bike would only idle). 
The next day, it started right up and I drove it for about 10 miles.  It had tons of power compared to what it was like before but still had hesitation between 5000 and 6000 rpms. 
The next time I started it, it had the same problem (full throttle and it would only idle).
This morning it seemed fine.

What would cause this intermittent problem?
I seems like it's not getting enough AIR.

I've checked the fuel line and filter.  Gas is getting to all 4 bowls.
It has good vacuum going to the fuelcock.
Float height is about 15mm.
Air filter is good.

Offline danger716

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Cleaned carbs. Now sometimes it won't run faster than idle.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 01:17:41 PM »
The manual says 14.6 +-1mm.  That's as close as I could get.  BTY, would an incorrect float height cause this kind of intermittent problem?

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 11:08:48 PM »
a fouling and cleaning spark plug problem
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline danger716

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 09:02:49 AM »
I think i'm leaking gas into at least one of the cylinders.  I say this because after the bike has sat for a few hours, like overnight, it doesn't want to run over.  It starts to turn over for what seems like 1 revolution and then stops turning.  I think this is liquid gas that can't compress.  This would happen before the carb cleaning about once a week, but now it happens every day.

Wouldn't this foul the plugs and make it run like crap?

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 11:43:41 AM »
Correct... Let me explain something to everyone about these orings they may not leak before, but once you take them out (the carbs) and clean them rather open the bowls up and air gets to the orings which normally sit in gas they shrink up especially with all the alcohol in the gas now a days. then some times they swell back up, but that seems to be like winning the lotto anymore. the more rubber you submerse is gas the worse things get for mechanics this is a bad design by Suzuki and many other manufacturers but seems to be the only way to seal things up. So just a FYI always be prepared to buy orings, and now you can just get the kits off eBay as SCI is selling them marketed for a bandit since i told them and even better for the Canada peeps they are located there.
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline danger716

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 01:20:09 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  I couldn't find the o-rings on eBay.  Do you know seller name for SCI on eBay or do you have a link to them?
Thanks again.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 01:29:57 PM »
Go to some local store and get neoprene rings with these sizes:

Needle jet (emulsion tube): 10 x 1.5
Pilot air screw: 3 x 1
Float: 5.5 x 1.5 and 7.5 x 1.5
Membrane cover: 4 x 1

I went and bought 20 rings of each size and it cost me 7,5 euros. Suzuki sells them for 3 euros per o-ring :banghead:

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!

Offline danger716

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 09:34:30 PM »
Ok, I took the carbs off again.  I guess the person before me had bigger jets put in, they are 107.5.  Also the jet needle is adjustable and on the lowest setting (closest to the pointy side).  I don't ride this at speeds or wide open throttle.  What will changing the jet needle setting do?  Should I go back to the stock jet size of 102.5?  I'm just looking for commuter bike that gets good gas mileage.

Offline danger716

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 09:42:05 PM »
Go to some local store and get neoprene rings with these sizes:

Needle jet (emulsion tube): 10 x 1.5
Pilot air screw: 3 x 1
Float: 5.5 x 1.5 and 7.5 x 1.5
Membrane cover: 4 x 1

I went and bought 20 rings of each size and it cost me 7,5 euros. Suzuki sells them for 3 euros per o-ring :banghead:

I forgot to ask,  are there equivalent sized, non-metric, o-rings that I can use?

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 10:04:31 PM »
Ok, I took the carbs off again.  I guess the person before me had bigger jets put in, they are 107.5.  Also the jet needle is adjustable and on the lowest setting (closest to the pointy side).  I don't ride this at speeds or wide open throttle.  What will changing the jet needle setting do?  Should I go back to the stock jet size of 102.5?  I'm just looking for commuter bike that gets good gas mileage.

Smaller jet = better gas mileage...always...
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!