Author Topic: Clicking from around the front sproket  (Read 2732 times)

Offline androo

• New user!
Clicking from around the front sproket
« on: September 15, 2009, 08:16:15 PM »
Hi All,

I've just got my first bike(bandit GSF250) and have re-tensioned the chain. Now that the chain has the recommended play(25-35mm) i get a clicking sound around the front sprocket when i push the bike. The clicking is louder when i roll the bike backwards. I haven't ridden the bike since adjusting the chain so i cant tell you if it clicks when under any power.

There was no clicking when the chain was lose(about 60-80mm).

Is this clicking normal?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Offline Dragbike

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Clicking from around the front sproket
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:17:38 PM »
No, not normal, you have some "tight" spots in your chain. I would say the chain is reaching the end of its life. I would not worry too much (in my opinion) my lawyer told me to say that.  :roll:
 If you can put the rear of the bike in the air (center stand) and role the rear wheel slow forward then backwards you might find a kick in the chain ~~. I have tried to get more mileage out of an old chain by soaking the chain in oil but if the o-rings are still in place and dry on the inside of the link it is just a shot in the dark. Still with help from some oil soak it might last a few more miles/months. Granted with a 400 and not going 200Mhp not a big thing yet in my opinion. Just an old dry chain with some kinks
Brent
01 Bandit 1200S
99 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide
89 GSXR 7/11 w/turbo
88 GSX600F Katana w/1127 :)
82 Harley FLT
79 Harley Super Glide FXEF
I’m getting Old--- I remember when Sex was safe and Motorcycles were dangerous!

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:18:28 PM »
First off.....   :welcome: to the forum...

Now I'm not an owner of the 250/400 series Bandits but 25-35mm sounds frigging TIGHT to me....  You might want to check the spec and apologies in advance if that's the proper chain slack.

Again...   :welcome:

:duh: :duh: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:..... okay - forget all that.... my conversion was off....  [note to self: stay out of the 250/400 forums]  :rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:26:19 PM by txbanditrydr »
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Dragbike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 10:30:12 PM »
Oh yeah what txbanditrydr said, a chain with kinks will get louder the tighter the chain is. If you have a tight spot  ~ going around in a small circle on the front sprocket. And if the chain is stretched and too tight it will wear your sprockets out more quickly.
01 Bandit 1200S
99 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide
89 GSXR 7/11 w/turbo
88 GSX600F Katana w/1127 :)
82 Harley FLT
79 Harley Super Glide FXEF
I’m getting Old--- I remember when Sex was safe and Motorcycles were dangerous!

Offline androo

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 10:44:53 PM »
Thanks for the help, i will price up a new chain. I'll give the old one a clean and soak first and see how i go.
 :thanks:

Offline mosquito

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
You might also want to verify the alignment of your rear wheel.

I had a similar situation where it made noise at the front sprocket only on deceleration with the clutch engaged. Turned out the chain's tight spot had moved and I was adjusting at the wrong spot (so it was too tight) and the wheel was misaligned.  This made it wear one side of the front sprocket excessively and made the chain wear abnormally too. (It wasn't stretched lengthwise, but sideways from hitting the front sprocket at an angle.)

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 08:43:04 AM »
Make sure not to over tighten the chain. Confirm it's within spec while sitting on the bike with suspension loaded, not when bike is on the center stand or leaning on the kickstand. Remember that too loose is better than too tight, especially with a chain that's near the end of it's life.
Vlad lives in Toronto, Canada and rides http://bandit.xxc.cc