Author Topic: clip ons test  (Read 2230 times)

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
clip ons test
« on: November 14, 2006, 07:05:33 PM »
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/edorp/bars/

I found some clip ons on trademe.co.nz that looked like they'd bolt straight onto my bandit, they're simple welded steel aftermarket clip ons, the thin clamp meant it'd fit past the headlight bracket. I just needed to cut down the short end of the bar to stop it from hitting the instrument bracket.

I had to re-route the cables, but managed to get them done so that there wasn't too much loose cables hanging out.
I'm pretty happy with how easy they went on the bike. It was a close fit with the brake and clutch levers, ideally they should be rotated downward a bit more, but I'd have to change the headlight  bracket for that.

I'm not totally sure if I'll keep them on the bike or not, I think they're a bit uncomfortable for me. My lower back tends to get sore easily and on the first test ride I could feel my back complaining a little, but it might've already been sore from previous stuff, so I'll give the clip ons a try for a week or so before deciding whether I'll go back to the original bars.

I was told clip ons give you better feel of what the front wheel is doing because they're lower and you have more weight on them and I was keen to try this out. I reckon it does give better feel under brakes. But it doesn't give the same ease of flicking the bike from side to side that the standard bars and upright seating position do.

I'll give it a week and decide after that.

Offline sclay115

• Board Homesteader!
clip ons test
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 10:21:51 PM »
Personally, those particular clips don't look super strong. That would be my only concern. And I think the decision to go with clip ons vs. regular upright bars is purely for whatever you are using the bike for. My friend has a GSXR 750, 2006 or there abouts. When riding around town, the thing is uncomfortable as all get out, but when you put your head behind the windscreen and tuck yourself in, it's almost like a light goes off and says "So this is how you need to sit on this thing to make use of the clip-ons." Your arms seem to fall seamlessly into gaps in the bodywork to make you and the motorcycle flow perfectly through the air, but until you really wrench it and tuck yourself in, it's stupid uncomfortable.

I think they are great for what they are used for, but personally, for a street ridden bike, and I think your back would agree, I'll stick with my semi-standard bars, I know my back likes that decision :grin: .

Steve
"When people who should have known better cautioned me about the dangers of motorcycle racing, I always told them that a fear of death is nothing more than a fear of life in disguise."

--Nick Voge

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
clip ons test
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 05:35:18 PM »
I've seen this type of welded steel clip-on used on a racebike before, these were apparently on a vtr1000 before I got them and they feel rigid enough, I think they're ok.

I went for another longer ride yesterday evening (about 250km). I coped, but it was fairly uncomfortable.
I noticed the clip ons do sit in a pretty ideal position when I'm crouched down over the tank. But I usually only crouch over the tank for a bit of fun when I'm bored.

I had a go on my friend's zx636r, interestingly the bars on that feel like they're at a similar height to the clip ons on my bandit, but they're a lot closer to the seat so you're not quite so stretched.

I don't think I can wait a week before changing them back, I think the couple of rides I've done with them are enough. It's just so much easier and more comfortable riding with the standard bars.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
clip ons test
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 05:37:41 PM »
You need to get used to it. The Bandit has a frame which supports your knees, that makes riding it a little more comfortable at low speeds. When I'm behind slow cars it gets a little uncomfortable but at 60 mph or more it's great. I am still getting used to mine but I'm really starting to prefer the clipons above the LSL LS01 handlebar I had before, especially when leaning far next to the bike. With the handlebar my arm was stretched a lot more than with the clipons.

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
clip ons test
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 09:30:04 PM »
Cheers for the encouragement to try the clip ons longer, but yesterday I changed back to the standard bars. I straightened the bars slightly so they're not so bent backwards to make it easier to grab the brake lever. Should also hopefully stop them from hitting my tank bag on full lock.

standard: http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/edorp/bars/IMG_8298.jpg
straightened: http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/edorp/bars/IMG_9619.jpg

Took it for a ride today and it's so much more comfortable. I prefer the way the bike handles/feels with bars, to me it seems more relaxed because it's more comfortable, but also easier and more enjoyable to flick it through corners.
I think the standard bars even make it easier to push the bike around while parking etc, just because they're a bit higher up. Maybe that's just because I'm tall or could be just that I'm used to it.

Anyway, for now at least I've got to say I'm a fan of standard handlebars. ;)

I hope the clip ons work out for you Herr Tod.