Author Topic: Clutch pointers  (Read 4804 times)

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
Clutch pointers
« on: August 28, 2012, 10:50:08 PM »
So what is the trick to adjusting the clutch cable. It either works well
But is super tight or draggs and is loose and sometimes both but never just right. I followed the manual instructions any tips? I started my adjustment because I had suspicions that it was dragging at stops and causing occasional stalling. Tips from the pros? I understand how to do it I just suck at it.

Offline bullet5

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Clutch pointers
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 06:59:45 AM »
First I'd suggest you remove the sprocket cover, clean the mechanism & ensure that the push rod is free to move. After you've put it back on and oiled the cable, you want to set your bar end adjuster to the middle. Now alter the adjuster on the sprocket cover till you have about 10mm of play/slack/soft movement right at the end of the lever. I.e before the cable becomes propperly tight.

Next start the bike up and take her for a 5 minute spin. This will warm the clutch plates up and you may need to adjust it at the bar end a tiny bit. This is why you set that in the middle when initially setting the correct tension as you can change it on the move to give either extra slack or more bit. :beers:

It's a delicate thing and over time you will need to slowly pull out the adjusters as your chain stretches futher and clutch plates wear.

My Virago 535 has a lot more slack than the my bandit's lever, but the clutch will engage much sooner (i.e with less lever travel than the bandit).

The last bit is to ensure the biting point isn't too far either way. If the lever touches the handlebar grips (or is close) when you're at the biting point it needs moving out, and vice versa if the cable is too tight.

This is getting rather long, so just adjust it to where you feel is a sensible position for you. Everyone is different and like it at slightly different places. :thumb:

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 06:08:30 PM »
Take a good look at the cam under the sprocket cover if the clutch will not adjust correctly, you can find one of the three bearings has fallen out.

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 01:22:29 AM »
You mean between the screw and rod that goes into the clutch? I have no ball bearings in there anywhere. 

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 04:17:28 AM »
Under the sprocket cover there is a cam that the cable connects to, three ball bearings make the cam open and push the clutch rod in.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 04:42:13 PM »
It's in the sprocket cover attached by two philps screws. Here's a photo of mangled bearing:

Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 06:13:14 PM »
I is there a ball in between the adjustment screw and the rod that goes into the engine as well? I've seen this set up on other bikes before.

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 11:35:20 PM »
Never mind I'm retarded. I took that all apart and found that some of the balls were missing. Bought replacements. Advice on reassembling this japanese puzzle? All balls are out and it's completely apart and cleaned.  Not covered in the service manual.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 04:14:46 AM »
I don't believe it's repairable. I bought a replacement from Suzuki.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 11:48:02 AM »
What would make it not reparable? There doesn't seem to be wear except for the balls themselves?

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 02:43:54 PM »
I've never heard of anyone repairing one... but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Keep us posted on how it goes.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 08:08:29 PM »
 I mean I don't claim to know what I'm talking about but it seems like its doable... Does anyone see any possible downfalls? Besides this thing being a pain in the ass to put back together. 

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 11:08:55 PM »
Seems good. Bearings are 1/8in. And there are 11 of them. Took some creativity to get the make th holes small enough (worn ones) to keep the bearings
In place. Greased it and it works and has held so far. And the $1.32 I spent on balls is alot nicer than shelling out 47 to Suzuki.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 08:02:34 AM »
Nicely done!
Mike

'91 GSF400