Author Topic: Comfortable & Sporty bars.  (Read 6658 times)

zaptoman

Comfortable & Sporty bars.
« on: February 08, 2006, 10:26:44 AM »
My bars are bent. Anybody know where I can get a set of bars thats comfortable & sporty? I've been checking out Bikebandit.com, but as this is my first bike, I don't really know what fits and what doesn't, etc. Something affordable?

Offline Kemics

• Board Regular!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 10:46:22 AM »
check out www.justbandits.com it's great you can find pretty much anything, i've just ordered a set of drag bars off there. but am a bit nervous myself how it's going to be riding with them, did it for style only. The renthal bars dont require any mods or anything and are fairly easy to fit.
to mess somthing up is human, but to really phuck it up you need a computer.

Offline DogBoy

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 01:51:00 PM »
AZMotorsports online store has several sizes/bends of BikeMaster bars for less than $20 shipped. I've used them and been happy with their quality and strength.

http://store.azmusa.com/knclubhanbla.html
91 Bandit 400
89 FZR400
96 YZF600

Offline KSUGreggy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 09:05:55 PM »
is there anything specific to look for in buying a pair of handlebars for the bandit? does anyone know which would be best for a sportier feel? or know hte specs on the width/rise/pullback on the stock bars?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 11:06:05 PM »
Look for a 7/8" dia bar. If they're knurled, be sure they're knurled in the same spot as your risers. The 1G bar is a little taller than the 2G bar, but both are in a category bar vendors call "Superbike bend". If you want a sportier feel, go with a lower bar. If you have a 2G, a zero rise bar (aka drag bar" would probably be what you're looking for.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

zaptoman

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 11:19:28 PM »
I have a 1992 bandit 400, if that helps anything.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 11:25:22 PM »
Quote from: "zaptoman"

I think Paul was thinking this was in the 6/12 forums.  Basically, any 7/8ths bar will work.  The chromed steel ones are fairly cheap  <$50.  From there, the variables are width, rise and pullback.  Guesstimate what you want and try it.  

Too tall and you will have problems with cable lenths.  With flat ones, you'll have extra cables looking sloppy (like me).
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Krautwagen

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://home.comcast.net/~jeffgundry/
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 11:42:20 PM »
The only criteria you need to worry about is that they are 7/8" clamp diameter, and that there's enough room for the clamp (usually not an issue), and enough room for the controls on each side.  As said above, watch out for the cable length.

On some bars, you will have to either drill a hole, or cut off the plastic lacating pin on your throttle side controls.  I suggest drilling a new hole, just line it up carefully and use a centerpunch.

I am currently running some MSR CR(?) bend dirtbike bars.  ~$40 IIRC.  Feels comfy, but probably too long of reach for most people.  Shorter folks would need a bit more pullback.  They were too wide, so I cut them down to the absolute minimum amount needed for the controls.  The steel clutch cable noodle was a bit to constricted, so I had to reroute the cable a bit. It's alot of F'ing around for bars, but I wanted to try out a cheap set and then decide if I liked it.  I do.

I'd suggest calling Dennis Kirk and getting a catalog, that'll show you almost every available style.
Dave
'92 Bandit 400 - parts
'07 SV650n

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 01:05:31 AM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
Quote from: "zaptoman"

I think Paul was thinking this was in the 6/12 forums.

:duh: You're right! It's a busy night and I just forgot which forum I was checkin'.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 08:20:23 AM »
LOL!  I was going to be really impressed if you knew the difference in bars b/t the first and second generation of B4s!  

Oh and +1 on the DK catalogue.  They have quite a selection in there.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 09:20:09 AM »
I have a LSL LS-1 bar. It's lower and a little bit wider than the stock one. Looks good, feels good, rides good :bigok:

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 09:21:19 AM »
Try searching the board for Suburban Machinery bars. They make a bar for the SV that fits a B400. They aren't cheap, but they sometimes come up on ebay. I have a custom bar that is pretty close in position to the SM bars, and the difference is amazing.
If you are a relic like me and can remember what it was like when you got off your banana seat sidewalk bike and first rode a 10 speed, that's what changing the bars will do for you.
1991 B4

Offline KSUGreggy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 03:15:50 PM »
does anyone know (generally) the rise/pullback/width of the stock b4 bars?  I'm not around my bike and trying to kill time btw classes :lol:

zaptoman

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 03:42:01 PM »
Quick q. Most places have a measurement for rise, but am i wrong in thinking this doesn't account for end rise? I.E. the bars come up but then go back down. Do superbike bend bars do this? The bars I have on right now do. I was thinking of going with the GP touring bars from bikemaster? Any suggestions or real world pics of these bars on a bike? Thanks for the replies!

Offline Ronrdrcr

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 04:26:12 PM »
Quote from: "DogBoy"
AZMotorsports online store has several sizes/bends of BikeMaster bars for less than $20 shipped. I've used them and been happy with their quality and strength.

http://store.azmusa.com/knclubhanbla.html

What do you guys think those clubman bars would look like on the b4?

I'd like something to get me down a little more and I think that would be a lot cheaper than going to clip-ons.

Ron
2006 Kawaasaki Z1000, Corbin seats, CRG mirrors, clear alternatives smoked taillight, Metzler M3 tires, and even more smiles!!!
92 Bandit 400
going to the wifey