Author Topic: dies when i give it throttle  (Read 7998 times)

Offline fireburster

• Board Homesteader!
dies when i give it throttle
« on: March 28, 2010, 11:11:10 PM »
Ok got my sprockets and centerstand on saturday. I drove it around and it was great. Then i took it out on a faster road when i was really opening it up. Then it died. I had to ride home idling the whole way. It would start and idle but you give it thottle it die, even when it was driving.

I ran cleaner through the carbs and they had nothing in there. I got plugs but i havent put them in yet. Any ideas?

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: dies when i give it throttle
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 09:45:50 AM »
Probably running rich. Could be a bazillion things. Without knowing what's been done to the bike it's impossible to diagnose. I'd start with the easy stuff... is the air filter clean? is the choke closing? etc...

Could also be a blocked fuel filter not letting enough gas into the carbs... google running rich and running lean and try to figure out what's going on.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:50:12 AM by interfuse »
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline fireburster

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 11:33:03 AM »
Sorry about no details. I was in a hurry to post before running out.

I have 3 turns on the mixture screws per the stage one dyno kit. I think its rich since pipes 2 and 3 dont seem to get hot enough. I have to ride with a litttle choke since it doesnt idle queit right yet. Carb sync is on my list but have to plan my repairs around the wife's stares :).

Air filter is ordered, the one in is a little burnt i noticed on the bottom of it. Choke closes and opens fine. When i was dead on the side of the road it would only start with full choke too and just was flooded it seemed. Just throttle full open wouldnt go past 5mph or die. Carbs were cleaned with cleaner and drained. I have no opened them.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 01:07:58 PM »
Have you actually opened the carbs and checked everything? 3 turns out could be the source of your problem. I netted out somewhere in the 2 - 2.5 turn area... and yeah I ended up dead on the side of the road at 3 (pulled the air filter and it ran, so thats how I got home)... but I had a slew of other carb issues.

Here's some recommended reading:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Cleaning_the_carbs_1

Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline fireburster

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 01:24:52 PM »
well dyno says 3 turns on their sheet for this setup. They could be wrong. I know 3 sounds like its way overkill compaired to the 2 or what everyone else says.

Yeah i have been reading the ninja faq in bed even latley ;)

ill turn it down to 2.5 and see if that does it.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 02:45:36 PM »
I run 3 on my tuned B4- you should run them as the bike needs. Did you strip the carbs or put some kind of cleaner in  the fuel?

Offline fireburster

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 03:13:45 PM »
I did cleaner in the carb 2 times over the weekend over night for both. Turned the screws back to 2 .25 last night. Road to work fine, but thats only 5 mins. I only really had the issue untill i was out doing 40+mph for longer and really getting on it. Hopefully i can find a road going home tonight to test it on.

Offline fireburster

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 10:24:34 PM »
So rode to work fine today. On the way home i was driving along fine then it started to studder. I pulled over and it died. Wouldnt start. Pushed it home the 4 blocks.

So i hook up my hose to drain the carbs see if i can see anything. 1 had little fuel, 2 and 3 were dry and 4 had a little fuel. Switched my petcock to prime and 2 and 3 had little come out then stopped. 4 still hasnt had more then 2 drops drain out.

Petock? fuel line? carb? Im out of ideas.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 11:39:03 PM »
Unless the gas tank has been treated it could be pretty rusty. The rust can cause fuel filters / jets to block. Has anybody installed an inline fuel filter? If so take it out. There's also fuel filters attached to the petcock inside the tank. Check and clean. Might as well clean the tap while your at it. The fuel line is 5/8 so I doubt that's blocked.

Could also be the vacuum line on the fuel tap leaking and not opening the diapgram, but seeing you switched it to prime and no fuel was coming out sounds like a blockage or a venting issue...

By now you've probably figured out that these bikes can be a pain in the ass... which is the biggest reason I haven't woken mine up this year.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline fireburster

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 02:03:38 AM »
I drained the tank and it was fairly clean, didn't see any rust. Petcock filters looked ok also. Guess i will have to look at them again.

There is only one vacuum line on the petcock right? Ill trace that back see if thats all good.

No inline filter but im thinking of installing one.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 09:24:43 AM »
Yeah the vacuum line goes from cylinder #1 to the fuel tap. Fuel filter inline is a good idea just make sure it flows well. Hook the fuel line up to and empty container. When set to prime does gas come pouring out? It should. Could also be a tank venting issue...
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 10:59:23 AM »
Tank venting is a good thought, Mike.  When it happens, stop and open the tank.  If it's a venting problem, you'll hear a whoosh when you open it.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline fireburster

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 11:30:52 AM »
Ok thanks for the tips. How would i fix a tank venting issue i guess. I can fix somethings but carbs and kinda over my head.

Seems weird that i drove 3 times and it was fine but once i really get on it and take it over 10k it just starts sputtering out when its coming back down.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 12:29:17 PM »
Just make sure air passes through the vent. Could also be a pinched fuel or vacuum line. Check how the hoses are routed.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline fireburster

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 12:37:17 PM »
will do.

thanks for the help, will post back when i get time to check these things.