Author Topic: Engine dissasembly with lots of pictures  (Read 2718 times)

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
Engine dissasembly with lots of pictures
« on: May 16, 2007, 01:57:29 AM »
Ran across this link and found it very interesting.  I have a spare engine for my B4 and plan on purchasing an oversize bore kit this winter.  This outlines what's involved.  I love this stuff.

Offline del la sol

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 12:06:02 PM »
some of the auto translations are funny...

"The rocker arm shaft the place where the origin it is that tries understands."  :headscratch:

real pictures are always great to go along the with service manual which usually only gives you one picture per 10 steps

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 12:47:05 PM »
for the big-bore set you don't have to do as much.

just remove the cilinderhead, remove the cilinder, remove the pistons, have the cilinder bored, put the new pistons in, mount the bored cilinders, mount the cilinderhead, adjust clearances and finish up.

however it is wise to check the rest of the engine while your at it  :wink:

some people have to take it completely apart anyway, but those people have a different crankshaft  :bandit:
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 12:32:40 PM »
That is a great link I've seen it before and glad it popped up again, 1.0  over pistons and if you look closer you will also notice a odd thing on the cylinders  sleeves . the guy cut them ? I believe to reduce crank case pressure only reason i can think of.
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 01:33:31 PM »

it is indeed to reduce crankcase pressure, its pretty normal do to.
the bandit 400 alreaddy has the holes in the crankcase to make it possible. with these holes the b4 standard has a very small opening between the cilinder, in this case a bit bigger will be good.
you can see them on this picture between the 1st and 2nd cilinder and between the 3rd and 4th cilinder

in the kicxstart (dutch motorcycly magazine) there is an article about someone who uses the crankcase pressure of a 4-stroke cilinder to supercharge a 2-stroke cilinder.
v-twin with a 4-stroke and a 2-stroke cilinder  :bomb:
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 05:27:12 PM »
Quote from: "Bartjan"

in the kicxstart (dutch motorcycly magazine) there is an article about someone who uses the crankcase pressure of a 4-stroke cilinder to supercharge a 2-stroke cilinder.
v-twin with a 4-stroke and a 2-stroke cilinder  :bomb:

Reminds me a little of the old DKW "twingle" of the 1930's... except they used one two-stroke cylinder to supercharge the other two-stroke cylinder. Both displaced ~250cc, but since only one fired, it raced in the 250 class.
 It was the first non-Brit bike to win the Isle of Man TT (1938).
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)