Author Topic: Shocks (Sorry!)  (Read 8514 times)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Shocks (Sorry!)
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 09:11:20 PM »
Sorry Squishy, I'm an EX Bandit 600 guy, so I have no idea what length a stock Bandit 400 shock is. Maybe one of the 400 guys has a spare shock they can measure.

As for GSXR 750 shocks, again based on the chart I referenced, the 88-91 as well as the 92-95 shocks are all 312 mm, eye to eye. I ASSUME the 88-91 have a remote, hose mounted reservoir, and that the 92-95 likely have the reservoir integrated into the shock body, which can make it harder to mount, but I DON'T actually know.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 03:15:38 PM »
Anyone know whether the GSX750F '91 shock is the same as the GSXR750 '91 talked about in this topic?
Thanks

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 12:23:12 PM »
Lastly, the picture posted in the 1st page.. is it a 1991 or 1992 shock, because here the poster says its a 1992 shock:
http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=12596.0

Also: from here
forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=7129.0
they say b4 stock is 305mm.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 12:30:38 PM by Squishy »

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 01:02:17 PM »
I'm not exactly sure. I'd say the older post that says 1992 is probably correct. It was closer to the time I bought it.  But who knows, I bought it from eBay and never saw the original bike it came from. The original ad said 90, 91, 92 gsxr 750 shock. It probably said 1992 in description but I can't access it. It fit and was an easy install. I have so many parts from so many years I can't keep it all straight anymore.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 01:58:45 PM »
Okai, I got myself a '95 GSX-R750 W. Took my longer than expected because couldn't reach the bolts properly and the cooling reservoir was in the way of the hose.

I've got some questions:
1) Is it possible to turn around the shock 180% degrees? So that the hose is on the other side?
2) Does the external reservoir need re-filling?
3) Where did you guys mount the reservoir?

Thanks

Offline Nickelodeon

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 09:22:53 PM »
When I put a 2006 GSXR600 shock on mine I bought a SS tube style overflow container and bolted/zip-tied it under the passenger seat area(not the passenger seat itself, but the bike).

I obviously ran new lines to it....I've been running run with no clearance issues.

It was difficult to the get shock itself in and I don't believe there was enough clearance to rotate it at all. I had to use 2mm washers to space the dog bones out a little and mill a little off of the aluminum casting that ties everything together.

Make sure you fill your radiator really well and just put a bit into the new overflow reservoir...it shouldn't need much.

Edit: I just realized the reservoir you're referring to is from a remote reservoir shock...lol....sorry. I suppose if the line is long enough you can run it to the same place. Or you can move the overflow container to where I put mine and place your shock res. in front of the batter housing using the brackets that are already there.....

Some of those shock are nitrogen charged and I wouldn't be disconnecting the remote resevoir if I were you...leave it intact and don't mess with it....if you already have taken it apart/seperated from the main body you'll have to find a shock expert here to tell you what's needed. If it's bad news you might be better off doing like me and finding a low mileage one on e-bay...I only paid $15+$10 shipping for mine.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:40:52 PM by Nickelodeon »

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 07:40:40 AM »
What do you mean stock reservoir? The b400's stock shock doesn't have a reservoir, that's why I'm asking

Offline Nickelodeon

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 05:41:23 PM »
It's really my fault for not using the correct terminology.

Let me try again.

I'm going to assume your GSXR750 shock has a remote reservoir, connected by a hydraulic line. My gsxr600 shock has one but it's part of the upper casting and as a result I had no option but to remove and relocate the coolant overflow tank in front of the battery to make room for it.

I was suggesting that if your remote reservoir for your shock doesn't have a long enough line(or is an integral casting like mine) you won't have many options but to do like me and move your coolant overflow tank. Make sense now?

I moved the coolant overflow tank under the rear passenger seat, under the rear tray specifically.(using an aftermarket "tube" style I bought off e-bay) I'll snap some pictures next time I have my bike out of the garage if you're still not clear(It's raining right now).

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 05:47:34 PM »
Well I mounted it under my seat, i'm pretty happy with it.
Still wondering about questions 1 and 2 though