Author Topic: Down to the frame?  (Read 8389 times)

Offline TheKillerB

• Board Homesteader!
Down to the frame?
« on: April 20, 2005, 12:53:26 AM »
Has anyone taken their b4 completely down to the frame?  The paint on mine has seen some abuse over the years and I would like to completely strip the bike down and have it repainted?  Have any of you done this?  How long did it take and what hurdles did you run into along the way?  I will plan on using a digital camera along the way to help with reassembly.

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
Down to the frame?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 06:58:43 AM »
I haven't yet but hope to start before the end of the month.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
Down to the frame?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 10:37:33 AM »
I think GSXR racer got a B4 frame, so I'm sure he'd like those pics and info also.  FWI, I have not taken mine down to the frame, just the basics, I don't like getting into wiring harnesses etc  :duh:
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Down to the frame?
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 10:52:45 AM »
My frame is a mess and I'd love to do the same thing, John.  I'm not sure I'll ever be that ambitious, though.  Good luck!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Down to the frame?
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 08:04:31 PM »
I have had mine to the frame twice, took about 6 hours to take it apert the first time and about 4 hours the second time.

Offline TheKillerB

• Board Homesteader!
Down to the frame?
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 08:30:29 PM »
Quote from: "Thief400"
I have had mine to the frame twice, took about 6 hours to take it apert the first time and about 4 hours the second time.

Are there any unique tools needed that wouldn't be in the average guy's toolbox?  Did you use the Suzuki Manual or did you just start tearing down?  Anything to watch out for (parts that break easily, loctite in strange places, etc.)?  I may be coming to you for advice as I go.  Haven't quite determined a start date yet.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Down to the frame?
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 01:41:44 AM »
Quote from: "JmuRiz"
I think GSXR racer got a B4 frame, so I'm sure he'd like those pics and info also.  FWI, I have not taken mine down to the frame, just the basics, I don't like getting into wiring harnesses etc  :duh:

thanks but ive had many of bike to the frame in the past 12 years from vmaxs to goldwings i can put a b4 togehter with my eyes closed. Its a peice of cake! even for the novice just label everthing if your a novice spanner :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline albertinhouston

• Board Homesteader!
Down to the frame?
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 09:07:36 PM »
very simple. I tore mine on a friday night painted it sat. and put it back together Sunday. as somebody else said, simple.
 A strong suggestion though. put it back together as soon as you can. that way things are fresh in your mind.

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
Down to the frame?
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 09:47:54 PM »
Ya, any special tools needed?  Bearing extractor/puller etc?  The swing-arm looks like a bitch to remove.

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
Down to the frame?
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 01:11:49 AM »
I've gotten mine half apart, gonna put enough of it back together tomarrow to test the 33mm carbs I got from Rob. I just need to get one more set of float bowl o-rings, the ones that were in there were really dried out.

I still haven't found a place to do my paint yet, though, so I'm not in a real big hurry to get her all apart.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline b4cruz

• Board Homesteader!
digital camera
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 04:34:37 AM »
if you find that you will be waiting on parts or the paint shop or some other problem that will leave you unable to put it back toegther while the process is fresh in your memory

or if you just have a bad memory period
shoot everything with a digital still camera
or a camcorder with lots of flash or light

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Down to the frame?
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 09:42:12 AM »
Quote from: "Maniac"
I just need to get one more set of float bowl o-rings, the ones that were in there were really dried out.

I thought i replaced those , before i sold them! measure them , thickness and diamiter , ill see what i got  or can dig up and ill mail them to ya bro!
asap! about to leave for work , got a kz 1300 1982 i have to clean the carbs on today and rejet a suzuki madura gv 700 . :beers:
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Down to the frame?
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 09:48:11 AM »
Im gonna do a documentary of the build of my b4 and put it on a cd , wich will include everything from building a complete motor , valve adjustment , frame up restoration , some custome fabricating. would like to sell them to sorta fund my racing. So if anyone thinks this is a good idea and have suggestions id like to hear them. My swing arm is on the way have the upside down front end , got a wire harness and inportant bolts from Jose coming got to put a motor together and locate a 04 gsxr 1000 subframe and plastics, tailight , battery tray, ect.!

Offline nsc

• TURBO TYPER!
Down to the frame?
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 10:55:38 AM »
when you finish it i want a copy plz
It must be a very helpful project

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
Down to the frame?
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 11:15:27 AM »
Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"
Im gonna do a documentary of the build of my b4 and put it on a cd , wich will include everything from building a complete motor , valve adjustment , frame up restoration , some custome fabricating. would like to sell them to sorta fund my racing.

Sounds like an awesome idea...you know we are all CSOB's so as long as it's not too much $, I think you'd have some takers here!  Before you said you can put any GSXR400 swingarm on, is this true?  I see on on UK ebay, too bad we aren't over there, we'd have all the goodies!
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80