Author Topic: Drove in the rain now it doesn't run right !!UPDATE!!  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Ronrdrcr

• Board Homesteader!
Drove in the rain now it doesn't run right !!UPDATE!!
« on: October 25, 2005, 08:58:53 AM »
I was preparing for Hurricane Wilma and decided to take the bike to my mother in laws so I could put it in her garage.  I leave my apartment in Brandon and it starts raining immediately.  5 miles down the road it feels like it's only running on 2 cylinders.  Wouldn't go over 65 mph.  20 miles down the road the speedometer quit working.  Towards the end of the ride (45 miles) it started running normal again.  I started it up for the first time after the storm yesterday and it was running rough again.  It idles, but you can hear in the exhaust that not all of the cylinders are firing.  I know this is something electrical getting wet, but what could it be?  Is it the CDI box?  Then the speedometer, is this thing mechanical or electronic?  I haven't looked it up in the manual yet, I just moved so I'm not sure where it is.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron
2006 Kawaasaki Z1000, Corbin seats, CRG mirrors, clear alternatives smoked taillight, Metzler M3 tires, and even more smiles!!!
92 Bandit 400
going to the wifey

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 09:10:29 AM »
OK this is a dumb question but are you sure it was the speedo and not the tach?  It sounds like you lost a coil (damp connection).  I'm not sure exactly where the pick-up is for the tach but I know when I lost the connection to my right coil, the tach quit on me.  I thought the speedo was totally mechanical - driving off the front wheel.  Anyway, check the spade connectors to the coils.  I cleaned, re-crimped and greased (dialectic) all my connections and it cured my problems.  I guess it would be good to make sure the harness plugs are securely attached to the CDI, too.  I suppose water could make it's way up there.  Good luck.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Ronrdrcr

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 09:15:09 AM »
Not a dumb question, I know some people who are that ignorant, but it was definately the speedo.  The tach worked just fine, that's what I used to roughly determine my speed.  The speedometer dropped to 0, and the odometer quit turning.  Luckily I just filled up with gas so I knew I had enough to make it there and back.  Although it is still sitting there as we speak.  I'll check out the connectors this weekend if I get a chance.
Thanks
Ron
2006 Kawaasaki Z1000, Corbin seats, CRG mirrors, clear alternatives smoked taillight, Metzler M3 tires, and even more smiles!!!
92 Bandit 400
going to the wifey

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 09:30:14 AM »
The speedo is mechanical, hopefully you just have a bad cable.

As for the electronics, mine did the same basic thing soon after I started riding it. Check the wiring harnesses in the headlight bucket, and underneath the left side cover (sitting on the bike). The Digital Ignitier is underneath the rear seat, so it's not very likely that it got wet enough to hurt it.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Ronrdrcr

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 09:47:27 AM »
Thanks
92 Bandit 400
going to the wifey

Offline Ronrdrcr

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 03:58:39 PM »
Does anyone know how to test the coils?  I'd like to test them to see if one isn't working properly.  I know how to test coils on pretty much any car, but I don't know what leads go where on the bike.

Ron
92 Bandit 400
going to the wifey

Offline Ronrdrcr

• Board Homesteader!
Update!! riding in the rain
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 03:15:25 PM »
Finally got the time to go to my mother-in-laws house to pick up the bike the other day.  Rode it home and not a single problem.  Apparently whatever got wet dried itself out.  Put another 200 miles on it yesterday.  So happy to be back on it. :banana:

Now I just have to figure out how to change the speedo cable.  Anyone ever do this?  I found another cable in the spare parts bin the guy I bought it from gave me.  Lucky me (if it's the problem).

I guess next time it rains I'll just have to check around to find my gremlin.  Thanks for the help guys.

Ron
92 Bandit 400
going to the wifey

Offline Zhi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 04:01:05 PM »
Simple as uncrewing the cable at one end and removing a screw at the other, but you have to remove the wheel to get the that one screw.:)
Z

Living and riding in the S.F. Bay Area.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 05:24:26 PM »
Check your HT leads.

Make sure they're secured in the plug ends and also on the coils. I just ran into this problem a day or so ago, ironically after I had washed the bike.

#3 and #4 wires were barely connecting at the plug end and the water left on the bike was causing a short and you could hear that the cylinders weren't firing because of it. I cleaned the inside of the plug end (was charred from the bad connection), cut back the HT wire a bit to fresh copper and reattached. I applied some superglue to the inside of the end just so it was a bit more secure.

Problem solved.

-Randy

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Update!! riding in the rain
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 08:51:40 PM »
Quote from: "Ronrdrcr"
Now I just have to figure out how to change the speedo cable.  Anyone ever do this?  I found another cable in the spare parts bin the guy I bought it from gave me.  Lucky me (if it's the problem).

Easiest way to do it is:

1. Loosen front axel bolt 1/2 a turn (12 mm allen socket req)
2. Put bike on center stand
3. Jack up the oil pan so the front tire is in the air (I use cut blocks of wood)
4. Unscrew cable from speedo clock
5. Remove front brake caliper (will save you hassels when you put the front tire back on, just do NOT operate the brake lever with the caliper off)
5. Remove axel and front tire
6. Unscrew speedo cable from speedo drive unit

Do the reverse to put it back together... torque the front axel to 36-58 lb ft.
and your good too go.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Ronrdrcr

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 08:22:46 AM »
I thought I'd end up having to take the wheel off.  Now I just need to go get a 12mm allen socket to fit my torque wrench.

GTi  I'll check those out next time I'm down there, thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ron
92 Bandit 400
going to the wifey