Author Topic: EFI?  (Read 5819 times)

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
EFI?
« on: December 15, 2005, 03:26:45 PM »
I was wondering since all of you are modding your bikes, did anybody tried to put EFI?
Currently i am scouring the net for DIY EFI's that are programmable (of course). I found several and i am curently checking this one, completely DIY but it's looks too'commercial' aside the fact that it's free.. http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Any comments?

[edit] it isn't really free, only for the real DIY ppl (they sell it in kit-form, but they share the schematics online too so it's possible to buy the parts for yourself)

[2nd edit] ehh, i think this board is too extensive. I think it's best if it's just a simple thing which works with TPS, better look for something else...
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
EFI?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 03:59:26 PM »
I wonder if it works. It probably has a bad 'on/off' effect, like the 'older' EFI bikes have but then probably even worse.

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
EFI?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 04:02:08 PM »
dunno, i found a forum where some guys tried it on a car and said it worked flawlessly...

But IMHO, this one has too many extra's. I'd like to keep it basic.
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
EFI?
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 04:53:06 PM »
They installed fuel injection on a carburettor motor?

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
EFI?
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 04:59:27 PM »
yes this thing is for ppl that want to switch their vehicle from carbs to injection.
This is about the Fuel Injection system needed to fire the injectors at the right time, that's all
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
EFI?
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 05:50:45 PM »
I have a friend who is running MS on a VW 16v right now.

It's a neat system and fully programmable. It's all based on freeware and there's alot of internet support. It uses normal impedence Bosch injectors and it's own ECU that plugs directly into a laptop. You can also get it with it's own spark control to make it a complete system or use your existing ignition. Completely adjustable fueling and spark if you use their system.

You have to build the board and all of the ancillary goodies and provide things like a TPS sensor, air temp, and it can be programmed for factory values for coolant temp, O2, knock sensor.

The big problem is that although there is a ton of support, alot of times there aren't alot of baseline values to set up the injection. Unlike a chip that's pre-programmed it basically comes down to alot of trial and error. If you just do it seat of the pants, you can get things close but never like if you spent time tuning on a dyno ($$) with people who know what all the settings do ($$$$).

Is it worth it? Tough to say, if you're looking for the last ounce of performance and want to be able to adjust everything six ways to Sunday, its not a bad choice. Personally, I'm not that patient and it isn't worth it for what I do (with both cars and motorcycles).

The other thing to remember is that if you're putting this on a carbed bike, you would need TPS, a swap to throttle bodies, injectors, fuel pump, knock sensor, O2, coolant temp and I'm probably leaving a good bit out.

-Randy

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
EFI?
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 05:54:15 AM »
yeah indeed. Now i get more and more the feeling that it's impossible, too many things needed to install. I'm afraid i cannot cram it away under the tank or whereever..
Perhaps i could be done with parts of a FI bike, but the cost will be too high. I'm only a student  :wink:
Okay, i'm back with my feet on the ground  :grin:
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
EFI?
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 08:01:42 AM »
there exists b6's with injection, yes? I saw a throttle assy with injectors (supposedly for a b6) for a sweet price on ebay...
i've got an idea! :grin:

Naaah, only if i have time and money to spare. Maybe in a year or 5
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
EFI?
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 04:59:04 PM »
Quote from: "Farre"
there exists b6's with injection, yes?

Not from the factory. Even the 3G B650 and 3G B12 still run carbs.

The new water-cooled GSR600 runs EFI, but I suspect it is much more potent than the 650 Bandit since it has close to the same hp as a B12 (not as much tq though). I doubt it would work on a B6, much less a B4.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
EFI?
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 09:58:39 AM »
well well well, so i found myself a scammer on ebay?
It's okay though, i thought 60euro for the throttle assy + injectors was a little bit too good to be true
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
EFI?
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 03:19:02 PM »
ehh, some of you may remember this thread, and to be honest it keeps on haunting me in my dreams  :wink:

Now i found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-GSXR600-Throttle-Bodies-GSXR-600-Fuel-Injection_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35595QQihZ004QQitemZ140062646091QQrdZ1
this should get me a long way towards the end goal since it's the thorttle bodies, the injectors and the TPS...
BUT, i must know some sizes...
*what's the diameter of each body?
*how far are they set apart? (circumference to circumference).

The thing is out for the moment for a good price, so if anybody knows where or just knows the measurements i'm looking for, it's greatly appreciated.

i know many of you see this as something too far-fetched for the end result, but if there is any real project i'd like to do then it would be this...
It's probably going to take several years anyway, as i need this bike too badly (still no other personal transportation), but i'm very very curious to what it can do afterwards :grin:

Thanks for any help
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
EFI?
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 12:46:14 PM »
Hey man if you want to spend buckets of money and pull out most of your hair trying to make this pipe dream work who are we to stop you  
But if you have to keep asking us  questions on here i doubt you have the technical or mechanical ability to pull it off. Most who do build it first then show if off

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
EFI?
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 01:26:25 PM »
straight answer,
it's just the fact i don't know anybody who owns a gsxr600, so i have no way of measuring it and i don't like to buy "in the dark".
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
EFI?
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 04:24:37 PM »
I just sold 1000 t-boddies and the 600 or any of the gsxr t- boddies will not fit with out extensive mods
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
EFI?
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 04:56:03 PM »
ahh, okay, that's all i needed to know.
Thanks Jay!
Alex
B6 Rear Shock