Author Topic: Tools to bring on trips  (Read 2101 times)

Offline pyro_

• TURBO TYPER!
Tools to bring on trips
« on: June 05, 2012, 01:14:23 AM »
So i am planing on going on some trips with my B4 this summer.  What tools would you bring along with you if you were traveling?  FYI  I dont have the tool kit that normaly comes with the bike so i am starting from scratch on this.

Offline bullet5

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Tools to bring on trips
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 06:13:26 AM »
My list would include:
- Tyre repair kit (including an air canister or pump)
- Spanners ranging from ~5-17 mm, and a rear axle one for chain tensioning,
- Allen keys ranging from 4-6mm,
- Spare fuses (Don't forget the main one),
- Duck tape and string (incase the worst comes to pass),
- Can of chain lube,
- Try and get a manual on your phone,
- Make a note of any breakdown cover phone numbers.

Make sure before you go that you give her a propper look over to ensure there's no loose bolts or worry areas.  :beers:

Enjoy yourself!

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:58:27 AM »
A few zip-ties of various sizes.

A pair of 4" vice-grip pliers (2 bucks at Lowe's) - great shifter lever in a pinch.

A multi-tool of some sort (too many to choose from).
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:44:47 PM »
My "toolkit" includes everything I need to pull the carbs and adjust them including a bit of tubing and a tiny tupperware to catch the gas from the float bowls plus some other tools that have been handy enough that they end up in there too.
So that's:
  * 12mm socket w/ extension and ratchet driver,
  * 8mm socket and a 13mm (not sure why that one...)
  * philips screwdriver,
  * standard screwdriver,
  * slip joint pliers,
  * a tiny standard screwdriver from an autoparts store that includes a magnet in the handle, which is a lifesaver when you drop that bolt down
     the back of the engine and it rolls under the starter...
  * spare hitchpin clip and a couple other spare clip like things including a paperclip 'cause you never know
  *  a tiny piece of 0.10 guitar wire for poking out jets of all kinds,
  * a selection of open end wrenches in appropriate metric sizes (I like the ones that have two sizes, one on each end),
  * a piece of emery board (stolen from my wife :),
  * a tiny ruler (metric), probably 'cause I'm always futzing with the carbs and might as well check the float level, I guess
  * a 22mm wrench for rear axle
  * a tubular sparkplug tool from my old gs450 toolkit, works as a short breaker bar too...

Everything in there is something I"ve needed more than once on the road and wished I'd had. It all fits in a zippered bank deposit bag, a small one about 4-5" by 11" or so. Perfect. With it I can fix most any basic thing that goes wrong on the road and have enough that most things can be patched enough to get to the next small town. Oh, and it turns out if you break a throttle cable, the choke cable *will* work, but it's a pain to get it working... it's a little short.

For a long trip I might throw in a couple more things, like a few more sockets and allens, just in case. I like the idea of a vise grips pliers as a substitute shift lever... very clever.

A