Author Topic: Engine puttering, brake lines, suspension  (Read 3900 times)

Offline andyeis

• New user!
    • http://sae.stuorg.iastate.edu/formula
Engine puttering, brake lines, suspension
« on: April 06, 2005, 12:38:46 AM »
Engine Puttering:
Since the weather has warmed here in Iowa, my bike seems to putter more so than before.  It occurs at various RPMs throughout gears 1-6 and always occurs when letting out the throttle.  Thoughts?

Brake Lines:
I NEED to upgrade to stainless braided lines.  My front brakes are spongy, even after bleeding.  Back brakes lock up fine, but might as well upgrade also.  Any suggestions on where to purchase?  DK?

Suspension:
My suspension seems mediocre at best.  The only thing I have done to either the front or back is maxed out the preload on the rear shock.  I get a lot of dive during decelleration and neither the forks or rear shock dampen as much as I would like.  Overall I want a stiffer setup.  Any suggestions as far as fork maintenance/upgrades and same for the rear end?

Thanks,

Andy
Andy Eis
'92 Suzuki GSF 400 Bandit
Director, ISU Formula SAE Racing
http://sae.stuorg.iastate.edu/formula  
Bandit Pictures in the Photo gallery!!!!!!

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 01:02:59 AM »
Hey Andy, welcome aboard!  :grin:

Puttering? Kinda like popping through the exhaust when you let up to decelerate? More than likely this is unburned fuel getting into the exhaust, where it ignites and 'pops'. Usually indicates a rich condition, but... most bikes will do this even when jetted properly, especially under deceleration. Check your plugs, they should be a light tanish color. If they are blackish or dark brown, then you are running to rich. Something else to consider is that old plugs can also lead to false 'rich' readings, especially if the gap has worn out of spec, which will lead to incomplete combustion and unburnt fuel entering the exhaust.

No clue on the brake lines, let me know!

Yeah, the Bandit 400 has a fairly 'mushy' suspension. There are several FAQs on the site detailing how to go about changing to a GSXR rear-shock (much better) as well as a complete GSXR front end. I've got a '92 GSXR front that I plan installing on mine, should stiffen things up quite a bit!

2008 GSXR-750

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 06:32:51 AM »
Yeah - what Maniac said.  

Upgrading to a Kat or Gix front end would solve your braking and suspension problems.  For SS lines, find a shop that will custom-cut them for you.  You could prob go a little shorter than stock anyway with the SM bars.  For the front susp, short of swapping the whole f/e, how long has it been since you had new seals/oil?  That could help.  You can also upgrade the springs.

BTW - great looking bike!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 07:47:53 AM »
So, Andy, what caused Jason's RZ to get the lightweight piston(s)?
Running too lean?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline andyeis

• New user!
    • http://sae.stuorg.iastate.edu/formula
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 09:03:58 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
So, Andy, what caused Jason's RZ to get the lightweight piston(s)?
Running too lean?

Just a little...he wasn't a happy camper...  Ever ridden an RZ 350?  The 2-stroke power is amazing...especially with his being race modified...  All new suspension, lots of custom manufactured parts, etc...   It's a fun bike.  Now he's working to make it look like a normal bike...  Powdercoating the frame, new tank, etc...

Andy
Andy Eis
'92 Suzuki GSF 400 Bandit
Director, ISU Formula SAE Racing
http://sae.stuorg.iastate.edu/formula  
Bandit Pictures in the Photo gallery!!!!!!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 09:15:53 PM »
No, I've never ridden an RZ, but I have ridden two-stroke street bikes and used to have a not-so-stock RD350, the RZ's air cooled predecessor. No custom made parts, just a nice port job, RD400 pistons, flycut heads, stuffed crank, DG chambers and Akront alloy hoops to replace the stock steelies. It held its own against any stock 750 of the day.
I took a special joy out of beating RD400's.  :motorsmile:
(The 350 was lighter and revved quicker.)

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)