Author Topic: musings of a bandit 400 owner  (Read 3214 times)

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
musings of a bandit 400 owner
« on: August 12, 2009, 07:19:01 AM »
I fell off my bandit (again... although the last time on the road was in september '06) 3 weeks ago. It was a low speed off on some dodgy road surface, lack of concentration, I think I just went over a damp patch of tar a little too quick and lost the front. I did a whole track day in the wet just two days before on my sv650s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fILLum6-DWE), riding to my limits but I let my focus slip a little too much on a slow speed corner on the road and down I go... That's motorcycling, eh. It reinforces how important being aware of my level of concentration and focus is and riding accordingly.

Anyway, the crash cracked the clutch cover open, the cover was a gsxr400 or gsx400 cover since I'd previously damaged my bandit's clutch cover.
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/edorp/slippery%20scenic%20drive/

I'd tried fixing the original bandit cover with durafix, a sort of aluminium solder/brazing rod. The cover had cracks in it which I bevelled (probably the wrong technique for durafix) and then tried to fill the gap.

Problem was, the durafix tended to all melt at once and sag through the other side. I'd been told the suzuki covers are difficult to weld, so didn't think I'd have much luck with the mig welder at work, but since I'd given up on the durafix and now needed a new cover, I removed as much durafix as I could and gave it a go.
It was SO EASY!  Well, compared to the durafix it was, anyway!  :wink: I was worried the cover would all melt away or bubble/blister. It doesn't take much to get it to blister, it was doing it a bit while I was using the durafix and a MAPP torch. But with the mig, it only blistered a little bit in a couple of places. Anyway, despite my welding looking pretty terrible, it worked! I was able to fix the cover, then weld a reinforcing 3mm Al plate on top. The stock cover looks a lot nicer than the gsxr cover, I reckon. Plus it doesn't have the sharp corner at the front, and with the reinforcing, it ought to survive the next slide better. It matches the other side now too.
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/edorp/crankcase%20repair/MIG%20welding/

I think I still prefer the bandit on the road to the sv. I like the relaxed riding position. The shape of the tank suits me better too, the sv's tank pushes my knee back when I'm hanging off making it a bit awkward. Apart from the shape of the tank, the sv is definitely better on the track though. Much easier to keep in the power band and with a little more grunt (doesn't help that my bandit has a bad flat spot).

The bandit's done just over 96,000km now and is getting a bit hard to start in cold weather. Last time I check the compression (months ago), it was around 110psi per cylinder according to my gauge. Lucky summer is on its way here, but I guess I'll have to do something about it sooner or later. I haven't done any internal engine work, except for adjusting the valve clearances before, so it'll be new. I should also try to sort out the flat spot as well.
But it's going, and it has fresh oil, so I'll keep riding it.  :grin:

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Re: musings of a bandit 400 owner
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 04:16:47 PM »
You know Eric, you reminded me that reinforcing the cases was one of the things on my "to do" list.

I think if you took the time to jet the Bandit and maybe do an end can on it, it might pick up a little on the track. Then again, I did those things and I'm having to work my ass off to chase down SV's at the track. If they're modded, I'm screwed. Still wish I had the double disc front end too...