Author Topic: Factory pro config 30 woes  (Read 10187 times)

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
Factory pro config 30 woes
« on: July 26, 2012, 08:09:51 PM »
Hi. I recently rejected my carbs with the factory pro config 30 kit. I am running with an aftermarket exhaust and kn pods. I wanted to ask for advice on how to get this thing tuned properly from others who have similar set ups (particularly TJS and gsxr400 if I remember properly). My biggest issue is super richness and stalling when attempting idle (or anything below 4k). I'm on the 117m jet with the needles one clip from the top. If you has any thoughts let me know. I creep on this site like every 20 min so responses will be prompt. Thanks for the help. Oh and petcock is good. On prime with an inline valve (till the offseason).

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Factory pro config 30 woes
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 12:39:26 AM »
One detail I forgot to mention is that when reved (with pods off) a fine mist of gas sprays out of the carbs. Not sure if this is important.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 09:08:45 AM »
That config 30 kit has been around forever and the directions are pretty spot-on.

You sure all was good with your carbs before you dropped it in? All the rubber bits? Floats at the right height (this would affect your rich idle the most along with everything else)? Some fuel coming out of the carb throats with no filters is normal when revving without a filter. You're seeing the reversion wave push fuel back out.

You could contact factory pro directly as well as they're very good with customer service.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 10:03:21 AM »
For me low end richness was caused by worn needle jets...

http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=11225.0
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 10:12:27 AM »
I forgot about your Mike, those still take the cake for the worst ever!

Offline Nickelodeon

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 11:55:09 AM »
Just a question, is the 117 main what came with your FP 3.0 kit?

I've go the 1.0 and it came with 95's and 92.5's. I ended up using the 92.5's after a spark plug check.

Did you do a plug check?

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 12:26:46 PM »
To be honest I'm not sure how these carbs were before I started jetting them because yet were ordered off of eBay to replace a really leaky set. The original leaky set was all ghetto rigged with goopy stuff sealing the cracked orings between the carbs. I should check the needle jets. I have thought about doing so before but opted to just try and look with a dental mirror. How do I remove the needle jet?

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 12:36:08 PM »
Yeah I did a plug check and have a decent spark. Trimmed back the wire and reattached the spark plug boot. Plugs are definitely dark and smell gassy. It's so rich that when I pull the entire carb rack there is noticeable gas on the intake (between carb and engine).

My kit came with 120 and 117 jets.

Offline Nickelodeon

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 12:42:08 PM »
If your plugs are dark and you are using the 117's that came with the kit then my vote is that you need a carb rebuild with new o-rings/float valves.

I ordered some kits online for a katana 600 that used the same carbs....

About the only think I'd check before doing that is the # of turns out the fuel mixture screws are....and compare with the little sheet FP sent with the jet kit.

I'm all stock in my case except for a K&N...and they recommended 2.25 turns out...
(although I just got a Yosh header and I'm going to make a custom mid pipe and slap a tyga stainless oval on it soon...so I'll be upping the mains soon too...I'm just leaving the airbox alone because I just don't want to deal with pods)

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 01:02:31 PM »
My float valves are good. I replaced them with ones from a spare set of carbs the orings around the part that houses the float valve is sealing. I'm tempted to (I know it would be messy) take off the bowls and inspect floats and seals.

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 04:53:35 AM »
I pulled the emulsion tubes and they were very gummed up. I'm not sure if this would cause my problems but they're clean now and I also replaced the float o rings and checked the float needle valve for wear and theyre good too. Gunna test it later.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 06:45:05 AM »
What country is your bike from? The factorypro kits are setup for US bikes. Canadian and euro bikes have emo tubes that are a size larger then the US tubes. My bike ran much better with the factorypro kit when I switched to the US sized emo tubes.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 04:24:57 PM »
Im pretty sure the bike is a us model. And the tubes from the new rack of carbs turned out to the same size. I had no clue there was a differance. Thanks for the heads up though.

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 07:38:49 PM »
Tried the newly gone over carbs today and it idles very nicely now but produces some white exhaust smoke. Once I turn the bike off the exhaust trickled a small stream of the same white smoke contined for like 40 seconds. This is a new symptom that didn't happen before I adjusted the carbs. Is this a sign of running lean? I did set the floats lean because I was previously super rich.

Offline TJS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 06:09:35 PM »
Can you video the bike from start up? Be sure to show the rpm guage on idle and blipping the throttle after warm up
 Where do you live? Humid? Cool? High or low altitude?
To Do list:
* Factory Pro website for tech "How To..."
* Try setting your floats back to stock
* turn air jet to 3 turns out
* Raise needle by lowering your clip

More Bandit 400 stuff on my youtube:
https://youtube.com/c/StanleysGarage369