Author Topic: Anyone have spare carb parts? Mine's buggered, and badly.  (Read 2901 times)

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Anyone have spare carb parts? Mine's buggered, and badly.
« on: March 25, 2006, 03:59:25 PM »
I though I was going to get lucky with the carbs since the rest of the bike is stock...   no such luck.

3 of the 4 pilot jets were rounded off and had to be removed with an EZ-out.  One of the float frames (not sure what the Real name is) is broken, and..  errr..  well, I need o-rings, but I'm going to hit up my local harware store to see if there's anything there that I can make work.  Oh, and the rubber plugs that cover the pilot jet ~ I need 1 of those (if they're Truely needed?  Anyone know?)

Just wondering if someone had parts for cheap before I try to repair the one piece with superglue and order jets from Sudco.

Absolutly filthy carbs....  not the most disgusting I've handled, but top 5 for sure.

:thanks:
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 06:58:07 PM »
Hey Brian,

I think you can still get most of the carb parts from Suzuki, the rubber parts for sure.  Don't use ones from a hardware store, or you will be back in replacing in a few weeks because of the fuel.  

The rubber plug over the pilots is absolutely essential.  The carbs pull the fuel for the pilots through the main jet.  Without the plugs, the fuel will go the other way and be pulled directly into the emulsion tubes without passing through the main jets, making the bike run extremely rich.

BikeBandit.com shows the float assembly still available, but not cheap $52.25.  You might find a complete set of carbs on Ebay for less than that if you are patient.  Sometimes complete jet kits come up as well that will have pilots.
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 08:26:49 PM »
I've got a spare orange thing around if you need it. It might be faster to get one some from someone in the US though.

Last time I bought o-rings from Suzuki I measured them. I came up with:

13374-46710
ID 5mm
OD 8.5mm

13?09-17C00
ID 4mm
OD 6.5mm

13374-44080
ID 7.5-8mm
OD 10.5mm

I'd make sure you buy o-rings that can withstand gasoline... I think both Viton & Nitrile compounds can withstand gas. Not sure what's better for use in carbs. Anybody else know?
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 12:20:32 AM »
I concur with Racerruss.  I just went through my carbs and replaced things.  Parts are still available from Suzuki and it may not be worth the gamble or hassle to cobble together a repair.  

Parts I have available:
Stock needles
Stock nylon spacers on top of the needles
Stock Springs
102.5 main jets.

Let me know if you need any of these.

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 12:47:41 AM »
Nope, none of those....  And I did just say 'screw it' and started shopping...  up to $250 in parts in an online cart right now, trying to think of other things I need before placing the order.  Might as well do it right, it's not like money is really an issue.

But thanks.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline shopmanual11

• Board Regular!
I've got a spare set of carbs!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 04:23:38 PM »
I have a spare set off of a '92. I don't know what they're like inside, but at any rate they should be good for parts. Just email me at shopmanual11@yahoo.com for more info and pics.