Author Topic: Question about coolant and gas  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Steve754

• New user!
Question about coolant and gas
« on: June 03, 2006, 02:54:08 AM »
Hi, I am new to this forum, and also a proud new owner of a 1991 bandit 400! I bought this bike on the spur of the moment after saving up and this popped up for the right price. What really grabbed me was how it looked, it looks like a ducati monster, and I wanted something small for my first bike.

Anyway I am doing some things to it to get it passed inspection since the guy who owned it before me chopped the rear fender off, and I am doing maintenance while im at it before I get it out on the road.

I've got a service manual the guy gave me with the bike and it says the bike calls for a coolant called suzuki golden cruiser 1200na. I searched the forum and I cant really figure out if i really need to put this stuff in or if it is okay to use something aftermarket and what color I should use. I have no idea of the service history of this bike and I just want to change all the fluids and make sure I do it right.

I also was wondering if it anyone here put in higher than 87 octane fuel in there bike, and how much mileage I should get before I have to fill up.

Feel free to let me know anything else about the bike that may be usful knowing! It has a little over 20,000 miles on it.

Thanks! :thanks:
Steve

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 09:47:07 AM »
The workshop manual (available from the MEMBERS ONLY forum) just says to use a 50 : 50 antifreeze/distilled water mix for the coolant.

I don't know if the coolant colour is significant or not. I just got some coolant from the local auto parts store.

My bike is a 1993 model. I get about 17km/L or about 230km before hitting reserve running on 91 octane fuel (it's the lowest octane available here).

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 09:48:48 AM »
Hey Steve - :welcome:

Silver Spring?  You're not too far from some of us.  I actually get down to SS once in a while for work - my Co.'s home office is on Colesville next to the train station.

Anyway....  Coolant?  I've never heard of the B4 needing anything special.  I've flushed and refilled with the green stuff.  I'm currently running Engine Ice for the track.

Octane - Here's a good thread (you have to read all the way through to the exciting conclusion!!!).  

Mileage depends on the level of tune - well running stock, well running with perf mods, poor running... and and riding style... before my last round of mods, I was getting about 140 from full to reserve in normal riding.  

Unsolicited advice - BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!  Good luck!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Steve754

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 06:58:45 PM »
Thank you for the replys, I appreciate it. The reason I ask the color is because it might be hard to tell when I go to drain it if it hasn't been done in a while. I will put in the green stuff, 50/50. I think I am going to run premium just because of the good gas mileage the bike gets.
Steve

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 11:12:02 AM »
Did you read the octane thread?  :duh:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)