Author Topic: Finally got my bike back. First ride of the Season!  (Read 7524 times)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Finally got my bike back. First ride of the Season!
« on: June 13, 2005, 08:43:50 PM »
I finally got my bike back from the shop after about a month and half of waiting for parts. I can't even say how good it feels to be riding again. Although my muscles are gonna be sore tomorrow (I'm starting to pay for it already).

I cruised around the city for a couple of hours today and can't believe how much better she's running with the replacement jet needles. I still need to tweak my mid range a bit. I think the 110's I put in are too big with the needles I'm using. I'm going back to 100's next time I pull the carbs off. I'll post some pictures of the old needle that was mangled soon.

I'll also post some pictures of the bike when I get a chance.

:wink:
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 08:51:36 PM »
:banana:  :congrats:

That's gotta be a great feeling.  Looking forward to the pics.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 12:21:11 AM »
I just gotta ask,.. how much did the bill hurt?   Don't need exact,.. like mortgage the house bad or Kraft Dinner for a month bad?   I remember the details you were tellin us about all they were doing.  Scared the crap outta me.  :shock:

Oh and congrats!  :banana:
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 09:06:56 AM »
Quote from: "stormi"
I just gotta ask,.. how much did the bill hurt?   Don't need exact,.. like mortgage the house bad or Kraft Dinner for a month bad?   I remember the details you were tellin us about all they were doing.  Scared the crap outta me.  :shock:

Oh and congrats!  :banana:

They only charged me for 10 hours of labour (even though it took them longer) at $65 an hour, plus $300 in parts. So it worked out to about a grand cdn (or $750 usd). Plus over the winter I spent about another grand on parts and did a bunch of work myself. Expensive but I should be good for awhile. Pretty much everything on her is new now. Tires, fork seals, everything in the carb, adjusted valves, new front disc, brake pads all around, repainted the tank (which I've already managed to scratch), repainted exhaust header, replaced exhaust gaskets, throttle cable, fuel tap...

Totally worth every penny once she reaches 8000 rpm... (I still need to tune up my carb from about 4000 - 8000).

Next on the list is to get my muffler repacked. The yoshimura is sounding kind of loud and rattley. I'm sure my neighbours loved it this morning when I was warming her up at 6:00 am.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 11:37:11 AM »
First ride of the season? OUCH! We feel your pain, brother.
You'll just have to spend more time riding the rest of the year to make up for it! ':banana:'

take care,
Steve
1991 B4

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 03:27:36 PM »
Quote from: "interfuse"

They only charged me for 10 hours of labour (even though it took them longer) at $65 an hour, plus $300 in parts. So it worked out to about a grand cdn (or $750 usd). Plus over the winter I spent about another grand on parts and did a bunch of work myself. Expensive but I should be good for awhile. Pretty much everything on her is new now. Tires, fork seals, everything in the carb, adjusted valves, new front disc, brake pads all around, repainted the tank (which I've already managed to scratch), repainted exhaust header, replaced exhaust gaskets, throttle cable, fuel tap...

Totally worth every penny once she reaches 8000 rpm... (I still need to tune up my carb from about 4000 - 8000).

Next on the list is to get my muffler repacked. The yoshimura is sounding kind of loud and rattley. I'm sure my neighbours loved it this morning when I was warming her up at 6:00 am.

Paint is -so- easy to scratch when it's brand new!  There are some fairly good products out there that you can use to buff a lot of that out, as long as it's a clearcoat scratch only. (Meguires I think was the company name,... I think you guys have Napa there right?  I got it from there when I bought it years ago, it was a weird pink creme)  Otherwise, sometimes a color matched polish if the color's fairly stock.  

I don't think neighbors as a general rule like -any- bikes.  I get looks around here like you wouldn't believe.  Of course I get the odd one stop when they figure out it's a girl workin on the bike.

Well that's not so bad then.  I think the shop rate here is much higher! I saw the posted rate at the shop where I got her battery ,... $80/hr!  So I figured that parts are good to buy there ( Battery for $53 vs the $95 - $120 everyone else wanted) but I'm lucky that between the manual and a BF that's worked on dirtbikes all his adult life, she rarely if ever should have to go in.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 09:57:27 PM »

Paint is -so- easy to scratch when it's brand new!  There are some fairly good products out there that you can use to buff a lot of that out, as long as it's a clearcoat scratch only. (Meguires I think was the company name,... I think you guys have Napa there right?  I got it from there when I bought it years ago, it was a weird pink creme)  Otherwise, sometimes a color matched polish if the color's fairly stock.

Sadly, the scratch is all the way to the metal. Luckily its small and not very noticeable. I'm going to have to put some rust killer on it and then touch it up with something.

I don't think neighbors as a general rule like -any- bikes.  I get looks around here like you wouldn't believe. Of course I get the odd one stop when they figure out it's a girl workin on the bike.

I've noticed in the last couple of years that a lot more girls are riding bikes. On Sunday I saw a girl with a trashed R1 pop a wheelie down the main drag. Damn.

Well that's not so bad then.  I think the shop rate here is much higher! I saw the posted rate at the shop where I got her battery ,... $80/hr!  So I figured that parts are good to buy there ( Battery for $53 vs the $95 - $120 everyone else wanted) but I'm lucky that between the manual and a BF that's worked on dirtbikes all his adult life, she rarely if ever should have to go in.

What type of battery did you get for $53 bucks? Is it maintenance free?

I try to do most things myself. But this year there were too many things wrong and I couldn't diagnose the problem correctly (the mechanic was even having problems). Oh, well she's all fixed up now.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 09:58:45 PM »
Quote from: "magicGoose"
First ride of the season? OUCH! We feel your pain, brother.
You'll just have to spend more time riding the rest of the year to make up for it! ':banana:'

take care,
Steve

In the last 24 hours since I picked up the bike I've logged 5 hours of riding. Well on my way!
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 10:22:22 PM »
Sadly, the scratch is all the way to the metal. Luckily its small and not very noticeable. I'm going to have to put some rust killer on it and then touch it up with something.

Ouch!

I've noticed in the last couple of years that a lot more girls are riding bikes. On Sunday I saw a girl with a trashed R1 pop a wheelie down the main drag. Damn.

I notice (here anyway) that I'm one of about 6 or 7 that I've seen so far,.. of course, that's probably still more than I used to see.  Dita started out as a means to an end ( a gas saver) but is lately only being ridden in the evenings because of weather.  Wouldn't you know it, I finally have a great running little bike and the weather won't co-operate.   So right now she's being ridden for recreation.  Good thing at last fill she got 65MPG, I don't have to feel guilty for just playing on her.   I truly think gas prices play a part in more girls riding.

What type of battery did you get for $53 bucks? Is it maintenance free?

Yup, it's maintenance free.  I asked the guy when I checked prices, what the difference between the $100 one and the $53 one, he goes, one was made in china one in Taiwan.  I go yeah,.. but quality, cranking amps, etc etc,... he goes none.  So I naturally took the $53 one.  It came from Parts Canada, I bought it from CycleWorks here in Edmonton.  (Who don't sell Suzuki, but do carry parts for my other bike)

I try to do most things myself. But this year there were too many things wrong and I couldn't diagnose the problem correctly (the mechanic was even having problems). Oh, well she's all fixed up now.

I hear ya.  The fact that she's running is what's important.  Sometimes it's pretty hard when so many things are wrong.  It seems insurmountable.   Good on ya!

I just about sold Dita to a guy that works with the BF, knowing he was looking for a bike, and I was loosing patience with her.  Thankfully I changed her battery first and everything perked right up.  (I just have a weird choke thing where if I turn the choke all the way on the engine races, but I just turn it on 2/3s now.  Problem solved. :) )
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2005, 02:41:31 PM »
I notice (here anyway) that I'm one of about 6 or 7 that I've seen so far,.. of course, that's probably still more than I used to see.  Dita started out as a means to an end ( a gas saver) but is lately only being ridden in the evenings because of weather.  Wouldn't you know it, I finally have a great running little bike and the weather won't co-operate.   So right now she's being ridden for recreation.  Good thing at last fill she got 65MPG, I don't have to feel guilty for just playing on her.   I truly think gas prices play a part in more girls riding.

My gf doesn't like bikes. Doesn't even like being the passanger. But she likes to complain when I go riding. I tried to talk her into getting a little bike of some kind, but no luck.

65MPG sounds pretty good (not that I know how long a mile is or how much fuel a gallon is... damn Canadian metric system.). Don't do any performance mods. My bike eats gas like crazy. I looked in my tank when I got home from my ride today and I'm not sure if she's got enough gas in her to get out of the garage! I forgot when I filled up last, to switch it from reserve to on. Yikes. I'll deal with that tomorrow.

I just about sold Dita to a guy that works with the BF, knowing he was looking for a bike, and I was loosing patience with her.  Thankfully I changed her battery first and everything perked right up.  (I just have a weird choke thing where if I turn the choke all the way on the engine races, but I just turn it on 2/3s now.  Problem solved. :) )

I think the choke thing is probably normal. I rarely need to turn my choke on more then a 1/4 of the way to get her started.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2005, 07:19:24 PM »
My gf doesn't like bikes. Doesn't even like being the passanger. But she likes to complain when I go riding. I tried to talk her into getting a little bike of some kind, but no luck.

:stop: Don't want to marry that gal! :stop:  :stickpoke:

65MPG sounds pretty good (not that I know how long a mile is or how much fuel a gallon is... damn Canadian metric system.).

Wassamatta wit you? Stormi knows how far a mile is and how much fuel is in a gallon and she's a Canuck, too.  At 65 MPG, I'm guessing she's using an Imperial gallon (like Canada used in the pre-metric days) and not a US gallon.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2005, 07:47:15 PM »

I didn't like them either.  But now I ride both dirt and street.  Give her time to come around.  If you're meant to be together, she'll accept them or even start riding, eventually.   Maybe start her on a dirtbike.  Then she'll learn to deal with the emergency situations  ( since it's pretty much all emergency on the dirt ;)) , and feel more comfortable on a streetbike,.. then tell her if ya ride gently,.. she can get 65mpg :)

65MPG sounds pretty good (not that I know how long a mile is or how much fuel a gallon is... damn Canadian metric system.). Don't do any performance mods. My bike eats gas like crazy. I looked in my tank when I got home from my ride today and I'm not sure if she's got enough gas in her to get out of the garage! I forgot when I filled up last, to switch it from reserve to on. Yikes. I'll deal with that tomorrow.

Ok,.. for round numbers so that it's easy to do in your head :)  
1.6km = 1 mile
3.78 litres = 1 gallon ( I believe this makes it the US system ;))

therefore as an example:
72.2kms /2.57litres = approx 45 miles to .68 gallons = 65 miles per 1 gallon.

otherwise known as 28.09 kms / litre or 100kms/ 3.5litres

How's that for nerdy!

I think the choke thing is probably normal. I rarely need to turn my choke on more then a 1/4 of the way to get her started.

Ahhh! good to know! I was wondering what I'd done wrong!
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2005, 08:00:01 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"

Now now! I'm sure she has other redeeming qualities!    :shock:

Wassamatta wit you? Stormi knows how far a mile is and how much fuel is in a gallon and she's a Canuck, too.  At 65 MPG, I'm guessing she's using an Imperial gallon (like Canada used in the pre-metric days) and not a US gallon.

LMAO!

I used to be on the Fbodymessageboard,.. most of them don't think in litres ( being american and all ) so I learned the conversion.

a US gallon is 3.78litres and an imperial is 4.545litres.  I guess if I I really wanted to impress people I could say I get 80mpg :)  Personally,.. the 65mpg knocked my socks off!
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2005, 08:10:17 PM »

Now now! I'm sure she has other redeeming qualities!    :shock:

That's why I put in the :stickpoke:

LMAO!

I used to be on the Fbodymessageboard,.. most of them don't think in litres ( being american and all ) so I learned the conversion.

a US gallon is 3.78 litres and an imperial is 4.545 litres.  I guess if I I really wanted to impress people I could say I get 80mpg :)  Personally,.. the 65mpg knocked my socks off!

I'm sure you and I aren't the only ones impressed by that! Seems most B4's get MPG figures akin to the average B12 (~40 MPG +/- a few) and some might be lucky enough to get B6 figures (~45 +/-). That's why I guessed you were thinking Imperial.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 09:49:17 PM »
That's why I put in the :stickpoke:

I know  :grin:

I'm sure you and I aren't the only ones impressed by that! Seems most B4's get MPG figures akin to the average B12 (~40 MPG +/- a few) and some might be lucky enough to get B6 figures (~45 +/-). That's why I guessed you were thinking Imperial.

Yeah! I was reading the mpg post from a while back here.  It wasn't a big test,.. only a few litres, but it should be fairly accurate.  I did it in my head the first time, and was positive I was wrong, so came home and did it again. I guess that shows what you can do at 4 - 5000 rpm for the most part.  I do rev her up a fair bit, and can be hard off the line, but most of that was stop and go, with a little nasty crosswinds and a little highway.

The only thing I can think of is the injector cleaner that we used to help clean her out after letting her sit undrained and stuff last winter.  It's "Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant with injector cleaners".  I got it from the transmission / diesel company my other half works at.  it's a 155 ml bottle that should last her for 4 - 5 fills.   It claims to "lubricate the compression rings for easier piston travel.  More power and less cylinder wear. " And says: "This product more than pays for itself in fuel savings alone!"  Not having run her much without it being in the tank, I can't say if there's been a gain or not.    at $5.75,.. it can't hurt too much.  (I'm not advertising, I figure if it'll help out others on the board though, it's a good thing to "share the secret" )
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390