Author Topic: flywheel / Generator removal  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Andy B

• Board Regular!
flywheel / Generator removal
« on: October 20, 2012, 07:41:34 PM »
Hi Guys,

After giving upon my replacement engine, im going back to my original block... i swapped em round as the transmission was knackered - gear lever bent so changing gear was a nightmare, and there was a loud whine in 6th..

So i've decided since the first engine was a good runner - idled rev'd and ran sweet as a nut - im just going to swap the transmission round.

First problem is taking off the generator and flywheel... now i can buy a flywheel spuller on ebay quite cheap so thats not too much of a problem, but the generator in the manual is removed a special tool/puller...

is there any certain type of puller that can be used on it thats readily available? and where you can buy them from?

Cheers for any pointers  :thumb:

Andy

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: flywheel / Generator removal
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 05:42:20 PM »
Hi Andy,

Im not clear on your question as the genny/stator is under the flywheel and simply held on with 3 pins.
If you mean the flywheel you need a three way puller that you can put 10mm pins through, these screw into the flywheel.

You do not need to remove the starter/trigger from the left side of the crank, engine slits with it still fitted.

Offline Andy B

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 07:20:19 PM »
ah right... im getting my names mixed up  :duh:

so its the flywheel i need to pull off from the right hand side... and its just a regular 3 way puller?

the left hand side doesnt need pulling off then? looked like i had to get at a few things behind it to split the crankcase looking at the manual... but perhaps i'm getting mistaken..?

have ordered a 3 way puller from ebay.. fingers crossed i'll have it apart by the weekend...

then i'll have to do it all over again with engine #2... yey...

Cheers for the reply  :thumb:

Andy

Offline Andy B

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 07:08:11 PM »
so i got to try my 3 way puller today....

the flywheel is on so tight it started to chew the threads on the puller!  :banghead: cue major sense of humour loss...

going to back with a rather large hammer and see if it helps free it off any...

is there any other tips for getting this bloody thing off?  :stickpoke:

Andy