Author Topic: Intro (with a problem)  (Read 2997 times)

Offline zelig

• Board Regular!
Intro (with a problem)
« on: May 08, 2007, 11:38:29 AM »
Howdy y'all!  (Sorry -- I'm in Texas.) :)

Just picked up a '92 B4 (red, natch) with 13k that was sitting up for a while.  It had some extensive work done before I got it (receipts for new CDI, motor & carb rebuild parts) so I think I got a good specimen.

But...

It only runs right when it's not thoroughly warmed up..?  On a short (2-mile) ride it was dandy, but on a longer (6-mile) ride it will die as soon as the throttle is opened when trying to leave a stoplight.  Up to 30 seconds before it starts again, no fun in traffic!  Guessing I need to go through the carbs?

Otherwise, fun bike so far.  No pics 'til I dry-fit the wheels from my DRZ-SM. :trustme:

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
Intro (with a problem)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 11:55:44 AM »
my 1st guess would be that the fuelhose or fuelfilter is clogged or the vacuumhose isnt working as its supposed to.

so it runs out of gas and the bike dies..

btw  :welcome:
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Intro (with a problem)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 03:07:26 PM »
:welcome: to the board.
Running OK cold but getting worse with a hot engine means you're running rich. (I *think*) Is your choke cable moving freely and letting your choke release? Is your air filter clean? Worth checking some simple stuff first, then search this board for 'O rings'.
1991 B4

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Intro (with a problem)
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 03:18:35 PM »
look at the plugs?
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
Intro (with a problem)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 03:53:09 PM »
Id say thats its a fuel starvation issue. make sure your taps flowing freely.

Offline zelig

• Board Regular!
Intro (with a problem)
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 07:14:26 PM »
I started tearing into the B4 today -- finally!

Have a look at this pic:

I think line 2 is the vacuum line, since one end went to the petcock and the other connects to the carb boot.  Is that right?  It flows fine.

Line 1 connects to a T at the rear of the carbs, between 2 and 3 (dead center).  I couldn't tell if the other end was connected to anything... should it be?  When I blow into it, the two holes on the lower lip of each carb start to spew fuel.  So I wonder if this is just a breather that remains open on the other end.

I should say "is supposed to" remain open on the other end. It was pinched flat under the tank when I took the tank off!  Wonder if this wasn't part of my problem...

Plugs are fine.   I replaced some fuel line while it's open -- no more dry-n-cracky, by cracky.  Next stop is the sediment filter in the petcock.  Damn, I hate smelling like gasoline!

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Intro (with a problem)
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 07:28:22 PM »
yes to the vacuum line and just yank the other off the t its useless
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol