Author Topic: found yet another exhaust made for the bandit  (Read 11077 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
found yet another exhaust made for the bandit
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 01:34:31 PM »
Quote from: "Maniac"
We can get new can sleeves for these things?

Well sheeet... gotta get ahold of Yoshimura then!

Congrats on the exhaust, Rob. Hopefully your wife lets you keep this one!  :beers:

I know that D&D, M4 and I assume most manufacturers have sleeves.  You just drill out the rivets, pull off the old one and rerivet the new one on.  

Todd - it was the wife's 'rents, who live next door, that had a problem with the D&D.  Maybe they'll like V&H better????   :shock:

I may take the mid-pipe and my M4 can to an exhaust shop and say, "Make these fit!!!".  I really like the look and sound of the M4.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 02:27:40 PM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"

Todd - it was the wife's 'rents, who live next door, that had a problem with the D&D.  Maybe they'll like V&H better????   :shock:

Ah, I thought it was the wife. I'm not sure if the wife's parents bitching is better or not, though.  :monkeymoon:

I may take the mid-pipe and my M4 can to an exhaust shop and say, "Make these fit!!!".  I really like the look and sound of the M4.

Yeah, I may do the same with my Supertrapp if I can't get the Yosh a new skin, or if I just don't like the sound of the Yosh. Looking at the two cans, I suspect they flow the same.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 01:56:58 PM »
Looks like I can get a new inlet and core of the correct size (comes as one piece) for my M4 for $130.  Not cheap but considering what I paid for the pipe, I might do it.  It's still cheaper than a new can and I really like the M4.  I still need to call V&H to see how much the sleeve and badge will be.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 08:51:46 PM »
:shock:

It's here!  And it's as hammered as it looks.  The inlet is only 2 1/8in.  I think a exhaust shop might be able to work with me to make the 2" M4 work.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Just what I needed - another project!  Thanks, Jay!   :monkeymoon:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2006, 11:57:39 PM »
Rob, take your new-to-me exhaust to a muffler shop and either:

-Have them expand the V&H header out to slide over the can

-Expand the end of the can out

In any case, you would have to bring both anyway. It would just make life a ton easier than trying to do it with a ruler.

I don't think I would recommend the latter unless you trust the guys since that thing is made of unobtanium. Their tubing machine will make it look obsurdly easy versus using the poop boys special tailpipe expander. In my experience those things work if you have impact and oxy/actylene to heat the pipe first.

I picked up Chris's stock setup and was contemplating doing a high-pipe like yours but may end up just repacking the Cobra. I was hoping the headers weren't "clearanced" like mine are (read: squished a bit) but for the smoking deal of $5, I'm not one to complain.

-Randy

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2006, 12:13:07 AM »
Quote from: "tomacGTi"
I was hoping the headers weren't "clearanced" like mine are (read: squished a bit)

Still not as bad as the '78 oldsmobile tornado. The olds 403 had one header that that was 3/4 restricted in order to fit the oil filter with the fwd crap.  :shock:
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2006, 10:14:38 AM »
Thanks, Randy.  

Any idea what negative effect reducing 2 1/8" down 2" will make.  Will it significantly negate the advantages of having a full system?  

I need to take everything apart and see what I can make work (while still looking reasonably good).  The M4 is 18" and the V&H can is only ~14" so it won't be as easy as I had hoped.  Maybe reuse my current mid-pipe and retain my high-mount set-up?  I don't know...
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Russtang

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://russruss.com
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2006, 06:03:31 PM »

Just what I needed - another project!  Thanks, Jay!   :monkeymoon:

May I request that you work on your dual headlight setup first? :lol:

Russ

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2006, 07:59:44 PM »
Have the 2" part expanded to 2 1/8" - any muffler shop should be able to do this for you in a few seconds.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2006, 09:56:29 PM »

Any idea what negative effect reducing 2 1/8" down 2" will make.  Will it significantly negate the advantages of having a full system?  

In my experience it's easier to go up than down (at the muffler shop anyway). Do the pipes even slide in on themselves or is it a sloppy fit?  Another thought would be to go to Poop Boys and see if they have a stepdown adapter. That's a common one they would carry. You should have enough clamps etc leftover to make it workable without looking too cobbled together. Also make sure to use some copper RTV on the joint for reassembly. It will seal as well as make it easier to take apart down the road if need be.

If anything, the step down sometimes creates a compression vortex that re-speeds the air through gaining some velocity. Extra bonus is that it can quiet an exhaust as well. Also, at that point, I don't think it will matter so much since the end of the system is right there. If you ever look through a Summit or a Jegs catalg, they have inserts that you place either before the muffler or after the tailpipe for just such a reason.

-Randy

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2006, 09:58:36 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
Have the 2" part expanded to 2 1/8" - any muffler shop should be able to do this for you in a few seconds.

Right but it's gonna reduce somewhere.  If I expand the inlet of the can, it'll reduce in the core and the outlet.  If I expand my current midpipe at the collector, they'll only expand it for a few inches and it'll reduce to 2" from there up.  Or am I being a moron (again)?
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2006, 11:10:02 PM »
I'm getting a little confused here.

At what location(s) do you have a conflict of sizes?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2006, 11:16:06 PM »
Expand the can if you want to run the V&H system. It will be the most minimal BS. If you think about it, it's perf'd anyway, it's not like it matters, honestly.

If you go high-mount, your midpipe will be a very, very slight restriction. I think you will notice more gain from the better headers than you would a slightly smaller inner diameter.

Honestly Rob, I think it's a wash either way. If it were me: I would keep the high-pipe (clearance and cool factor) use the V&H header (lighter than factory Bandit anyway) and continue to use the M4 car (sounds wicked and it's light).

Sound reasonable?

-Randy

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2006, 11:35:34 PM »
Jesus apples oranges , oranges apples get it done mate! Wish my life was so simple! :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2006, 11:37:51 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
I'm getting a little confused here.

At what location(s) do you have a conflict of sizes?

What???  I'm clearer than Jay, right????  

Randy has it right.  I think my options are using the V&H headers with my 2"  high midpipe (stretched to fit the header outlet) or the V&H mid with the M4 stretched.  The problem with the latter is that it's gonna be too long.  Once I play with it a little - do some dry-fitting, there may be other options... like having a muffler shop make me a new 2.25 mid bent like my high pipe...  Like I said, another project.   :roll:

Yeah Russ, I'll get to that head light!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7