Author Topic: No Idle after fitting new headers  (Read 3125 times)

Offline jacquesw

• New user!
No Idle after fitting new headers
« on: October 24, 2005, 03:05:15 AM »
Hi All

I had some good looking exhaust headers lying in the garage which I decided had to go on the Bandit. I fitted them and they appear to be sitting fine. When the bike is cold and I start it up it runs perfect but after riding a block it dies immediatly when getting to a stop. I really prefer having these so if I can keep them fitted it would be great otherwise I will just have to switch back. Don't know if it will make a differance but I have a standard bandit and I got the exhaust from a V.

Any Ideas ?

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 08:27:38 PM »
The new headers should not make that dramatic of a difference.  I would check for other problems.  As you are probably aware, the carbs are a constant source of trouble on these bikes.
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 08:33:22 PM »
Sorry... are you saying you somehow fitted pipes from another bike to the Bandit?   Or are they Bandit pipes?
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 08:54:55 PM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
Sorry... are you saying you somehow fitted pipes from another bike to the Bandit?   Or are they Bandit pipes?

Or are they for a Bandit, but are aftermarket headers?

If they are aftermarket headers, you are probably too lean now.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline jacquesw

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 02:59:17 AM »
I swopped back to the old header as well last night and it is now doing the same with them.
The "new" one's are OEM headers I got from a bandit V. I know that my emultion tubes needs replacing but the bike was still going ok as was. I will now just buy new gaskets as I kept the old ones. Don't really think it is the problem as there does not appear to be any blow outs. After riding a block it really starts sounding like the bike is intermittantly running on 3 cylinders. I'll probably just pull it in at a local shop to have the carburation checked quickly. Just odd that this started showing up after changing the headers. O yes I also washed the bike. Not that, that has ever been a problem.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 06:09:04 AM »
Check the connectons in your plug wires.  You may have bumped one loose during the wash.  They are a pain!   :duh:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline jacquesw

• New user!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 11:47:57 AM »
OK. I have replaced the gaskets on the exhaust and I can now with 99% confidance say the problem wasn't with the header change. I do believe it is my battery though. Will test tonight if it is just a bad battery or if it is the rectifier that is going. I had a accident with the bike about 2 moths ago after a pickup took me out on the road. The battery must have run flat in the month and a half it was standing for. The bike was repaired and the battery recharged and so it ran fine for about 3 days and then the trouble started. I could barely get one swing out of the engine this morning when I tried to start it after the light was on for just about 2 minutes. It always only has enough power to start the bike and then run optimally for a little while then it starts misfiring when running on low revs etc. According to the symptoms this looks like a logical conclusion.
So it is me and the multimeter tonight.

Offline jacquesw

• New user!
Success !!!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 10:33:10 AM »
Just to give you feedback. The problem was with the battery leads. Although tightly connected it seems there was some trouble. Little bit of fiddeling and cleaning the points and EUREKA  :lol:

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 11:01:27 AM »
:banana:

Now get out there and ride   :motorsmile:

2008 GSXR-750