Author Topic: Frame sliders for 91 b4?  (Read 8932 times)

Offline 243Win

• New user!
Frame sliders for 91 b4?
« on: March 06, 2008, 10:33:07 PM »
Such an animal exist or will I have to cobble something together?

Thanks

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
Re: Frame sliders for 91 b4?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 11:11:51 PM »
If you do a search, you should see a recent thread....I'd say ohh...from about June of last year, with an e-mail address of a dude who makes them for around $65.

I bought a pair, and they are EXCELLENT! I highly recommend!  :beers:
1991 Bandit 400

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 11:00:55 AM »
there ya go ;) I was too lazy  :lol:
1991 Bandit 400

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 01:13:04 PM »
I was procrastinating at work.... LOL.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline 243Win

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 12:14:53 PM »
Outstanding!   :thanks:

Now I just need to track something similar down for a 86 VF500.

Offline elbandtioCA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 05:51:37 PM »
i'm also trying to outfit my uncrashed bike with sliders.  i've read the thread but i've still got a question.  the custom made ones are cool, but i'd like to make my own for far less than 65 bucks.  so far i've got 2 three-inch pieces of delrin/acetal rod ($6) and two long 10mm bolts ($5).  i don't have any examples to inspect up close, so my question, for those who are more familiar with slider designs, is: if you drill a hole big enough for the wide end of the bolt (and the 17mm socket that will tighten it) most of the way through the plastic rod (say 2.5 out of the total 3 inches), and then continue all the way through the last .5 inch of plastic rod with a narrower hole big enough only for the shaft of the bolt (this narrower hole goes against the frame), can you just tighten the engine bolt against the plastic of the slider?  i'm not sure if this is how other designs do it.  does anyone know if it would be stuipd to have an engine mount bolt tightening into plastic--of course with a stainless washer under the bolt head.  the delrin stuff seems pretty high density, but i'm now engineer.  wish i could draw a picture, because if this works it is very easy to do and much cheaper than 65 bucks...and it doesn't look bad at all.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 05:56:47 PM by elbandtioCA »

Offline 243Win

• New user!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 06:15:28 PM »
Seems reasonable.  Note that the stock nut on the 10mm bolt on the engine mount is a "stretch" nut and only meant to be used once as I recall.

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 11:06:51 PM »
i've got 2 three-inch pieces of delrin/acetal rod ($6)
mind sharing where you got that? I've been meaning to mount up something similar to what you're describing.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline elbandtioCA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 08:49:36 PM »
hi, i first bought the delrin at a local CA store called TAP Plastics: 
http://www.tapplastics.com/

But they only sell white delrin rod.  I decided I liked black better so I ordered some online from this place:

http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/zrd-zrbd.cfm

You can get 6" of the 1.5" diameter black rode for $6.15.  Then all you need to do is get a longer 10mm bolt and drill the holes to mount the rod.  The bolt that is on the bike is a 10mm 1.25 pitch, but it is easier to find a stainless stell grade 5 bolt in 1.5 pitch, so just get a nut to match it, and tighten it onto a washer that covers the hole the stock bolt fits into.  i know this is confusing without a picture--just remember that the stock bolt is an allen-key bolt, and the longer one that you get is probably going to be a standard hex-head that won't fit into the little indentation on the frame.  Also, Delrin is very easy to machine--I drilled my holes with a battery powered drill, but it would be better if you had a drill press.

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 08:58:06 PM »
Don't worry isn't confusing at all, thanks for those sources, I see the ones on ebay are more expensive. I have a great local place for bolts, been meaning to pick up all the stainless bolts i need anyway, may as well add one more to the wish list. Thanks again
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 01:54:33 AM »
Made mine from a set I got for an R-6, I believe.

Its not hard to make a set work on the B4.Its probably more of a challenge to make them stout enough to actually "slide" during a wreck,rather than just snap off.I have full confidence that they would work well as static or low speed bumpers,saving my bike from excess damage,but I doubt they would survive a high speed incident.....

I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline elbandtioCA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 11:11:16 AM »
did you just use the plastic part or did you use hardware too?  i'm curious to know how the actual mounting works with those. 

what kind of swing arm is that?  and also, did you get special brackets to mount the turnsignals/get rid of the fender?  looks great. 

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 01:25:21 PM »
I used the washers that came with the kit,but got the right Grade 8 metric bolts from a hardware store.

The swinger is a GSXR-400 unit modified by Jay to accept the B4 brake torque arm.I run an SV650 rear wheel in it with a 160 rear tire.

Fender eliminator kit consisted of a hacksaw and Dremel.The license plate is mounted all the way forward with a dedicated light,so I stay legal.

I have the rear turns mounted to old pass footpeg mounts and the fronts are mounted to my custom headlight brackets.Ive since installed a German made aluminum headlight mount that has turn signal mounts on it.
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline elbandtioCA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 01:42:11 PM »
when i took the stock bolt to a place that specializes in these things he said it was a stainless grade 5.  thats what i put on.  wonders if it makes much of a difference.

yours is the nicest looking bandit i've seen.  does that gsxr400 swing arm take a gsxr 400 shock or do you have something else on there?