Author Topic: Front suspension  (Read 8186 times)

Offline Dragon888

• TURBO TYPER!
Front suspension
« on: November 14, 2006, 12:47:14 AM »
Hi guys how can I adjust or fine tune my front & rear suspension of my bike? Does the 250 or 400 have adjustment screw in which I could adjust my suspension? My ride is on the stiff side and I want to smoothen things out a bit. Do you have any pictures as to where I canexactly fiddle it? Thanks.

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
Front suspension
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 05:51:58 PM »
I don't know about fine tuning suspension, I only know about basic adjustments.

On the standard bandit, the only adjustment available is the rear shock preload. Other than that, you can put PVC tube spacers in the forks to adjust the front preload/sag and change the fork oil.

If you want to change the suspension further still, you'll have to look at new fork springs and a new rear shock.

It's curious that you say your bandit suspension is too hard, most bandits as far as I'm aware have too soft suspension.

Is it possible you're mistaking the rear shock bottoming out for too hard suspension?

Offline Dragon888

• TURBO TYPER!
Front suspension
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 09:32:37 PM »
Quote from: erik
I don't know about fine tuning suspension, I only know about basic adjustments.

On the standard bandit, the only adjustment available is the rear shock preload. Other than that, you can put PVC tube spacers in the forks to adjust the front preload/sag and change the fork oil.

If you want to change the suspension further still, you'll have to look at new fork springs and a new rear shock.

It's curious that you say your bandit suspension is too hard, most bandits as far as I'm aware have too soft suspension.

Is it possible you're mistaking the rear shock bottoming out for too hard suspension?

Well just got the bike and we chaged the seals & put in new oil. Havent adjusted anything at the rear but am planning to raise the rear a little bit. when the bike goes over some road irregularities Im feeling jarring or I should say stiff suspension play. It resonates to the handle bars. Just have to ride & feel more & analyze my problem though. Anyways thanks for the input & RIDE SAFE BRO!

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Front suspension
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 11:33:29 PM »
what weight fork oil did you use , and how much did you put in ? the jarring on those things is more than likely  the suspension bottoming out do to lack of compression dampning front and back unless you plan on upgrading some things your best bet is to crank the rear spring full up put 10 more mm's of pre load on your fork springs with washers or pvc and add 10 more ML's of whatever fluid you used to each fork leg and that might get you some where! :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Dragon888

• TURBO TYPER!
Front suspension
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 01:21:22 AM »
Thanks bro Ill try to do that.

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
Front suspension
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 08:02:03 AM »
my B4 is also very stiff, but i like it because it give good grip at good roads.
however i did find it strange/curious to see that most people find their B4 to be soft while mine is hard and it also has standard suspension.

what do you mean with "Is it possible you're mistaking the rear shock bottoming out "? english is not my native language so i dont understand  :roll:

btw i raised the rear of my B4 about 55mm and it felt good  :bigok:
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.mulcahey.com
Front suspension
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 10:54:35 AM »
Have a look at the videos on this site about suspension set up.
It is in three parts.

http://www.onthethrottle.tv/

G

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Front suspension
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 11:49:57 AM »
The problem with damper rod forks is that they rely on four holes drilled into them for dampening action.

When you try to firm them up with higher viscosity oil, although they feel better in the small stuff, on sharper edged hits, the holes in the rods cannot flow enough and end up "hydrolocking" for lack of a better term. The fluid cannot escape fast enough and end up feeling harsh.

On the flip side, the holes are large enough that on slower, smaller movements like braking, the forks wallow through their travel, sometimes riding on the bumpstops.

I tried for awhile to make the best of a bad situation by upping the fluid level 10ml at a time to fix the brake dive and also by switching to 15wt (stock is 10) but the biggest difference came at the addition of Race Tech Gold Valves. I have a separate post on them if you're willing to search so I'll spare the bandwidth here.

I would also recommend a shock upgrade out back to complement the front end if you do it. The stock shock is wickedly underdampened and un-adjustable except for preload. Swapping in an earlier model GSXR shock or a first gen B12 shock are popular upgrades for not so much money. Again, search is your friend.

-Randy

Offline Dragon888

• TURBO TYPER!
Front suspension
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 06:43:42 PM »
Quote from: Bartjan
my B4 is also very stiff, but i like it because it give good grip at good roads.
however i did find it strange/curious to see that most people find their B4 to be soft while mine is hard and it also has standard suspension.

what do you mean with "Is it possible you're mistaking the rear shock bottoming out "? english is not my native language so i dont understand  :roll:

btw i raised the rear of my B4 about 55mm and it felt good  :bigok:

OT, How did you raise the rear of your b4? Is it with the use of a modified dogbone? What are other ways in raising the rear a bit?

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
Front suspension
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 08:26:23 AM »
i bought these off ebay.de
ebay.de link
be sure to mention it is a bandit 400 else thhey will send the set for the bandit 600 and 1200 which wont fit.

the left ones are the new ones and the right ones the originals

other ways would be, different rear spring with different size, higher tyre  :duh: , different swingarm
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline gilad

• Board Homesteader!
Front suspension
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 03:03:17 PM »
Quote from: "Garyola"
Have a look at the videos on this site about suspension set up.
It is in three parts.

http://www.onthethrottle.tv/

G

after looking at the link, I got to this spart
SHOCK REBOUND TEAR
When the shock rebound adjustment is incorrectly set on D.O.T. tires, the tread pattern will show cupping on the leading portion of the pattern with a raised edge followed by a low spot immediately behind it

-What is D.O.T ?
I dont ride fast I fly low !

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Front suspension
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 05:24:49 PM »
Department Of Transportation.  It refers to race/trackday tires that have enough tread to be officially approved for street use.  E.g. Supercorsas, Racetecs, Power Races...
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Dragon888

• TURBO TYPER!
Front suspension
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 01:08:20 AM »
Quote from: Bartjan
i bought these off ebay.de
ebay.de link
be sure to mention it is a bandit 400 else thhey will send the set for the bandit 600 and 1200 which wont fit.

the left ones are the new ones and the right ones the originals

other ways would be, different rear spring with different size, higher tyre  :duh: , different swingarm

Based on the pictures did you approximate the distance of the 2 mounting holes? Im thinking that I could improvise thos dogbones with the help of a machine shop here. Ill be using it in my b 250.

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
Front suspension
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 05:57:06 AM »
i'll take some measurements for you tomorrow  :motorsmile:
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
Front suspension
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2006, 04:23:56 PM »
centre to centre distance original is about 195mm, mine are about 183mm.
i also have the B6 dogbones (which dont fit) these are 163mm and if they were 10mm longer they would probably fit, with no room left and an incredible high back-end

this is what happens when someone tries to mount the B6 dogbones (when that person didnt know they wouldnt fit  :roll: )

as you can see that is some extreme high rear end, but it wont fit as you can see here

[edit] by the way: if you raise the rear, the centre-stand will touch the chain so you would have to remove the centre-stand and use the side-standard
1991 US Bandit 400