Author Topic: What is it about the cold...  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
What is it about the cold...
« on: December 09, 2006, 12:04:10 AM »
...that keeps a bike from starting up? I was totally psyched to test out a winter riding setup tonight, being as it's 29° right now and heading down to 19°, and the goddam bike refuses to start. :annoy:

I never have a problem with the bike if it's warm enough (above ~39°), so I don't get it. :wtf:

I wound up killing the battery and gettng exhusted from running the bike up and down a slope trying to bump it. In the end I was so soaking wet and exhusted that even if I did start the dammned thing, I was certainly in no condition to ride it. :sad:

So what is it about the cold that keeps gasoline vapors, oxygen and a spark from doing what they normally do? REALLY annoying. :rant2:

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 12:58:13 AM »
Starting fluid is about all I can think of to use when its this cold outside. Something a bit more flammable than the crap gas that is available nowadays.

I haven't put the bike down for the winter yet but was trying to get out and start it every couple of days or so and run it to operating temp. At one point I hadn't done so in about two weeks, coupled with the temperature drop (low 30's), the battery allowed for just a couple of revolutions and that was it. I threw it on the solar charger for a couple of hours, blew some fluid down the airbox lid and it started. Reluctantly, but it started.

I keep the solar charger on it for now and I think after this week, it'll be going to bed till spring. The new fuels have less energy than the non-ethanol based ones coupled with the cold weather not allowing the fuel to atomise as readily equals no starts (for carbed bikes anyway). I already account for mine running like poo below 55*.

-Randy

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 01:04:12 AM »
Bah, it was -12 celsius (10 degrees F) here today and my bike started. It ran like crud for the first while, but it started real quick (mind you it whored through the gas).

Part of it might be that I keep my bike in an underground garage somewhat away from the elements...

Its suposed to go to 6*C (42*F) on sunday. I can't wait to go for a comfortable ride. If I can't see my breath I'm happy.

:beers:
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 01:37:13 AM »
OK, but I stll don't understand why the phucker just won't start up. I mean, just START already! What is the big goddam deal?

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 01:45:31 AM »
When did you start it last? I find that if I leave the bike for a while without starting, it can be difficult to start and run lumpy.

But usually full choke and maybe a little bit of gas and she will start. Is it possible you flooded it? I know I've done that before... and that can make it a real bitch to start cold. If thats the case, try again tomorrow and hopefully you'll have better luck.  :beers:
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 01:58:13 AM »
Tomorrow it'll be too warm, 50-something-ish! :boohoo:  I wanted to test out my winter riding gear, dammit! :lol:

I'm sure the phucker'll bump tomorrow. :grin:

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 08:43:55 AM »
i used to have starting problems when it was freezing. it was thanks to the following:
1) battery has lower power when its colder, so it will die faster (no problem if the other things are allright)
2) my coils dont like water/snow, so sometimes it wont work with all cilinders (use water remover and grease to solve)
3) carbs were not clean and the shoke was full with dirt and not making the mixture rich (after they were cleaned my B4 hasnt had a starting problem ever)
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 10:41:04 AM »
My bike is an "outside cat" for the most part, which is a huge issue for hard starts when it's cold out. Anything warmer than ambient when it's that cold out is a big help.

FWIW the carbs are freshly rebuilt/o-ringed, fresh ignition leads and the battery is about a year and a half old. The only thing I didn't do when I was in the carbs were the emulsion tubes mainly because I didn't have them and they "appeared" A-OK.

I wish I could have more shelter than I do but at least it's under a cover!

-Randy

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 11:53:12 AM »
Maybe you need one of these to push your bike!

1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline GK75A

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 02:18:45 PM »
why has he got panniers on a sports bike?