Author Topic: Changing Fork seals, I need to change WHAT?  (Read 3561 times)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Changing Fork seals, I need to change WHAT?
« on: June 16, 2009, 05:32:24 PM »
Hey all, Dita's developed a significant leak from one of her forks.  We're going to order the parts, but after a quick look in the service manual, we're a little surprised at what the "oem" recommendation is:

r_outsider looked at this and said he's never, in all of his years of motocross, changed the "anti-friction" metals...

comments?

I -believe- these parts to be parts # 3 (they call it a slide metal ) and 10 (they call it a piston ?? Not like any piston I've ever seen) on this schematic, would that be right?

http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-motorcycle-gsf400m-bandit-1991-front-damper/o/m6135sch239976

Obviously we'll order 2 of #5 - the oil seals, and possibly the dust seals (#7) though r_outsider says these can be reused...

anything else we should order?  The circlip (#6)?
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Changing Fork seals, I need to change WHAT?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 06:25:06 PM »
Hi, 3 and 10 are the parts they mension and they say to replace them as if you want to split the forks competely apart the slider 3 will be pulled out of the fork lower by 10 as you split the forks and this can damage them. If they look ok put the fork halves together with only these parts 3/10 in and feel for play between the fork upper and lower and if no play rebuild, if you got play you need these parts renewing. If you dont renew then the oil seals will start to weap due to being strested by the excess movement.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 07:13:21 PM »
Alright then,.. so if I get what you're saying, they can generally be inspected, and tested, and only replaced if needed, like what r_outsider is used to,....

Of course the rub for us is that we're going to order parts from Bike Bandit (because otherwise it will be "6 weeks from the factory after they make them" if I order them locally.  As with every other part we've tried to order for her in the past. ) So we'll have to order the parts and assume they need to be changed.

It's just a shame to order $60 worth of parts if they're not needed.

So,.. parts 3, 5, 10 and possibly 7 for both sides? Anything else "likely" to be needed on a 18 yr old bike with what I'm guessing will be original fork oil?  (yes, I expect that to be rancid)
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 04:54:25 PM »
BOO :yikes: Buy aftermarket seals, anything but leakproof type. spend the OEM money on the parts E and F and get a new crush washer for the bottom of the forks, the bolt that holds the cartridge to the forks. The money saved on the OEM seal can also be spent on a 60cc syringe a length of hose and a hollow metal tube that would fit in the hose and use this to measure your fork fluid :motorsmile:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol