Author Topic: Fun with Carburetors...  (Read 2263 times)

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
Fun with Carburetors...
« on: May 08, 2011, 12:08:12 AM »
Todays project was carburetor maintenance.  I bought a economy carb kit a couple months ago and have gotten all the o-rings.  Also have a rusted set of carbs for spare parts.  Took it all apart and found it does already have a jet kit.  The mains are 96 and the needle jets are all steel type and have the steps for different c-clip settings.  The rusted set has 102.5 mains which I assume is stock.  

Bad part: When I get it all back together gas is leaking out horribly.  Argh!  Tear it apart again and take out the float needles.  Hold them next to the old ones and can see they are a hair too short and would never seat.  Wrote a letter back to where I bought them online and will see what the response it.  Luckily the rusted carb set has pretty good float valves so I used those.  After some hard starting to clear the flooded cylinders it starts up and runs pretty well.  Idle isn't staying steady and it occurs to me that I may not have tightened the nut holding the throttle cable.  Dark now so will do that tomorrow.

Anyone know what kit that may be with the 96 jets and the steel (or aluminums) needles?

EDIT:  Continued in "Jetting Thread" as that is more appropriate.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:28:38 AM by canyonbreeze »