Author Topic: Removing the tank....  (Read 3488 times)

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
Removing the tank....
« on: June 07, 2007, 11:43:45 AM »
I decided I was going to be brave a few days ago and attempt to remove my tank so I could clean my filter. I removed the seat, side plastics and unbolted the tank and lifted it up. I got a little freaked out seeing the big mess of cables/hoses under there, and just put it all back together.  :shock:  :duh:

So before I try it again, is there anything I should know? Obviously, I have to remove the hoses from the fuel cock...will gas spill all over the place? Do I have to drain the tank?

Also, when I was under there, I noticed the cap for the coolant reservoir (the white one with two hoses coming out of it) was off..just hanging there! I tried to put it back on..but it didnt seem to click onto the neck of the reservoir...I tried as best I could, so now its just there, but it can easily be pulled off...is that normal?
1991 Bandit 400

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
Removing the tank....
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 11:51:07 AM »
download the manual from the sticky, youll find everything you need there.

the cap of the coolant reservoir on my bike is just the same. about everytime i look at it, its loose..
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
Removing the tank....
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 01:09:36 PM »
Yup, I have the manual! Just wanna know if you guys have any real-world advice...the manual is a little vague sometimes

-remove tank bolts
-remove fuel vacuum lines
-remove tank

...thats about it  :lol:
1991 Bandit 400

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Removing the tank....
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 01:32:19 PM »
You'll get a little gas, just what's in the line, about a tablespoon.
You don't have to drain the tank, but the less gas is in it, the easier it is to move around. Before you take the tank off, have somewhere soft to set it down so you don't scrape up the bottom. It's a little fiddly getting the 3 hoses back on, I lift up the back of the tank with one hand and use needle-nose pliers to grip the hoses to push them back on.
1991 B4

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Removing the tank....
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 01:44:16 PM »
You got it.  Just make sure the tap is set to "on" or "res" (it will only pour gas all over if its straight up to the unmarked prime position or if your pet cock is bad).  

Hints:

* Once you unbolt it, you have to pull back on the tank to get it off where it clips on to the frame by the head tube.  

* The fuel supply to the carbs may be a PIA to get off the tap.  Just be patient.

* Be careful with the vacuum line that goes to the boot on carb #1.  It can pull out of the boot.  Mine was never as secure after I gorilla-armed it.  

* Set the tank somewhere where your floor jack handle won't fall on it and crush it (sorry Chris!!!).

* Until it's burned into your memory from taking it off dozens and dozens of times  :duh: , take a pic of where everything goes or mark each hose and attachment point with tape or something.  

*  The little bushings that support the tank (bolts go through these) are elusive.  They can fall in the deepest crevace of the bike or bouce out of site in a second.  Or... maybe my garage is just too much of a mess.  Anyway, keep an eye on them.  

I guess that's all I have off the top of my head not having had my bike for a year.  Good luck!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Removing the tank....
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 03:20:51 PM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
*  The little bushings that support the tank (bolts go through these) are elusive.  They can fall in the deepest crevace of the bike or bouce out of site in a second.  Or... maybe my garage is just too much of a mess.  Anyway, keep an eye on them.  

It's not just you.  Those things are a PIA!  Here's how I do it so I'm -less- likely to lose them... put the cone shaped ones upside down on the bottom, and the rings on the top.  That way, the washer still holds them on, and the rings can be removed before the tank gets moved.  The other ones are heavier, and typically either:
1. stay on the metal piece that they sit on, or
2.  Bounce all the way to the ground, but stay close when they do fall, because they don't roll so good.
 :wink:
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
Removing the tank....
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 04:59:52 PM »
oooh yay! I finally found Seafoam at a local place! El Bandito's gonna be happy this weekend!  :motorsmile:
1991 Bandit 400

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
Removing the tank....
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 05:10:31 PM »
Like someone else said, mark the hoses with different coloured gaffer/duct tape (or whatever) before you take them off the tank, and mark the outlets on the tank with the same coloured tape. That way you know where the hoses go when you put the tank back on.

Once the tank is off, have a look at the front of the frame, just behind the headstock. There's a little rubber cushion that locates onto a small metal plate on the top of the frame, just behind the headstock.  The rubber cushion has a slit in the front of it, so it can fit onto this metal plate. Make sure the rubber cushion is correctly located in position (the slit pushed fully onto the plate) before you put the tank back on. It makes pushing the tank into position so you can bolt up the back of it soooo much easier.

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
Removing the tank....
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 07:07:24 PM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"

everyone has a small black hole in his garage, whenever you drop something and can't find it it disappears in the black hole.

goodthing other people's black holes send items to other garages, so you can find things you never saw before  :duh:

FYI i dont have the bushings, just screwed 2 bolts under it to raise the rear of the tank. they never fall off because they can't  :lol:
thats the good thing when someone buys a B4 which had a B6 tank instead of a B4 tank (now it has B4 tank again)
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
Removing the tank....
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 01:20:47 AM »
I've been gone for a couple of weeks, sorry if I'm chiming in too late.
This is not necessary, but it helps me immensely.  When you plan to remove the tank, do it with as little fuel as possible.  It's a freakin bitch when the tank is heavy.  If you can do it with the tank on reserve, everything will be much easier.