Author Topic: Going to look at a 91 400 Bandit  (Read 3158 times)

Offline alois71

• New user!
Going to look at a 91 400 Bandit
« on: August 19, 2008, 05:48:26 PM »
I talked the guy down to 1100 dollars form 1400. He says he got it at an auction and has issues with the gears. He doesn't know much about motorcycles he just buys them as well as cars at auctions with the intention to sell them to the general public for more....
Well according to him, the "spring" in the transmission has to be replaced says his buddy. I have no idea what that means all I know is that it slips out of 2nd gear or it won't go into gear etc.... I will test drive the bike later today and give you guys an update and ask for recommendations if i should buy it.
Also. he has a 1986 yamaha secca 650 for 450 dollars... it was garaged for 6 years.
He needs to sell both bikes to build a barn?!

Cheers
Alois

Offline PucciPat

• New user!
Re: Going to look at a 91 400 Bandit
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 07:02:02 PM »
i bought my 91 b4 from one of my brothers friends, talked him down to $800. has 12k on the odo and it had been sitting for about 8 months. took a good carb clean, new air filter, new chain, disassembly and cleaning of the back caliper, and im thinking new throttle cable (it takes a while for the rpms to drop down to idle after you close the throttle, and sometimes it doesnt wanna drop at all). i love the thing though, awesome first bike for me. i like to think i got a good deal on it?  :bandit:

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 07:13:32 PM »
im thinking new throttle cable (it takes a while for the rpms to drop down to idle after you close the throttle, and sometimes it doesnt wanna drop at all).

That's easy to check. Just pull the tank and airbox and watch the throttle linkage. It should return to the stop completely. If it does, then you're likely lean on the mixture screw and/or pilot jet.

A

Offline skibum

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 09:04:05 PM »
You won't be disappointed in the B4.  I used to race bikes for a living and I've owned mine since new in 93.  If I ever find anything I like better, I'll buy it but so far, the Bandit is my ride.  As far as the tranny goes, I'd guess that you need a rebuild (2nd gear).  While the engine needs to come out and the cases split, this is no where near as big a deal as it sounds.  A competent shade tree mechanic, with a factory manual, who takes his time can do the work.  In my experience, once you get the cases open and look at the gears, the problem will become apparent.  Usually, the engagement dogs on the back of one of the gears.  Negotiate a good price and buy the bike.  You won't regret it.  :grin:
I'm having fun.  Are you having fun?  I'm having fun.

Offline alois71

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 11:05:43 PM »
Well nobody commented on the Yamaha secca?!

I took it for a ride and it is a really fun bike! The problem is, as the guy told me in advance, it seems to just slip out of second gear at higher rpm's. Also, he said it had been "sittin around" and he didn't know for how long.
I think I am going to buy it, but I would like some advise on how to prep the bike taking into consideration that it was sitting around for a while. What should I do.... clean the carb now or could  I drive it a month and get it ready for winter and then clean the carb or is it something immediate that needs to be done immediately? As far as the gear goes where do I find a "second gear?"
Thanks guys
Glad to be a new (future) bandit owner.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 01:04:12 AM »
Before you tear into the tranny, check and adjust the clutch and change the oil. Second gear on my bike would pop out into neutral. I thought it was tranny repair time, turned out a simple clutch adjustment fixed it.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 12:01:18 PM »
B4 carbs can be finicky about dirt. If the bike has been sitting, it's wise to clean them. At the *very* minimum, toss all the old gas, flush out the gas tank and give her new clean gas, maybe with some sort of cleaning agent in it. If you really only have a month of riding weather left and she's running okay, then go for it and save the carb clean for the fall.

A