Author Topic: GOT MY FIRST PARTS BIKE!!!  (Read 2294 times)

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
GOT MY FIRST PARTS BIKE!!!
« on: October 13, 2012, 09:16:34 PM »
So I got my first parts bike. A scrappy looking rattle can 93. What should I do? Frame isn't titled (guy lost it years ago so I was able to get a gooood price). I kinda want to rip it apart and move the larger pieces (engine) into my basement so I can do a rebuild to get a super clean machine. Is this wise? Or is it better to leave the bike in my detached garage in one piece.

Offline bullet5

• Board Homesteader!
Re: GOT MY FIRST PARTS BIKE!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 07:40:02 AM »
Have you stripped down bikes in the past?

Either way, go for it, just make sure you've got the appropiate manuals for the year in question. :thumb:

Is it a VC engine or standard?

If you want it to be a super clean bike, then taking it apart is going to be the only way to do it.
The 400 lump isn't all that heavy, especially when you compare it to movin around the 600/750/1200 blocks :grin:

Mine's currently in pieces in the garage, with the engines one the floor (I have 3 VC ones), hoever I would really recommend a winch bolted in the roof to get the block back in. It's not a 1 person job.

Bullet5.

Offline Sean

• Board Homesteader!
Re: GOT MY FIRST PARTS BIKE!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 06:53:32 PM »
Not my own and never a bandit. I've helped deconstruct old Honda twins. It's a standard (I from the states and I think that's about it for us). With the old Hondas we were able to put down a movers blanket and lay the engine on its side then put the frame on the engine. Might not be so easy on the bandit. It's a nice feeling to know that if you need something, you probably have a spare somewhere.