Author Topic: My lights are bipolar  (Read 2397 times)

Offline NateFaris

• TURBO TYPER!
My lights are bipolar
« on: July 31, 2006, 02:58:53 AM »
When I first got my B4 and rode it at night, I noticed that the headlight sucked, both low and high beam. I didn't see it as a big deal, since the light on my 2004 Honda Rebel was no better. The instrument lighting sucked on par with the Rebel as well, again, it's 14 years old, not a big deal. Well one evening out riding I happened to notice the headlight and instrument lighting get amazingly brighter out of nowhere. It did this a couple times, going from bright to shit, etc. I pulled off the headlight, fairing, gas tank, whatever and just looked for a loose connection but couldn't find anything that stood out as I'm not sure of where these lights are grounded exactly. I'm pretty sure the issue is a loose ground wire, but do any of you guys know where I should check? Thanks in advance for any info

Offline wyntrblue

• Board Homesteader!
My lights are bipolar
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 03:56:19 AM »
does the brightness increase with the revs of the engine, if it does it sounds like you need a new rectifyer...

*waits for those who know better to correct me*

Offline NateFaris

• TURBO TYPER!
My lights are bipolar
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 11:02:32 PM »
Nah that was my first thought, but running 8k rpm doesnt make it change at all. When it does change its at random and is a huge difference.

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
My lights are bipolar
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 09:56:18 AM »
A failing reg/rect can cause seemingly random problems like this. Try throwing a voltmeter across your battery and running through the rev range. There's a procedure for this with voltage specs in the service manual.
 :beers:
1991 B4