Author Topic: Got my sag set,but a sad day........  (Read 3362 times)

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
Got my sag set,but a sad day........
« on: September 17, 2007, 08:46:22 PM »
Went in to the local shop today and had my suspension checked out and the sag setup for myself.It wasnt too far off ,he set the front preload near the full mark and fine tuned the damping a bit.The frontend doesnt dive nearly as much as it used to under braking and its not any more harsh than before,despite the increased preload.
The rear needed some more preload too.I had cranked it out a bit to compensate for the shorter GSX-R400 swingarm making the back of the bike sit high,but it was too soft.After adding a link to the chain and running the axle to the rear of the adjustment slot,we were able to find a good setting for the rear,near the tight end of the spring preload settings.
The bike now feels far smoother,even around town just going over regular bumps in the road.The front and rear seem to work together,just a smooth undulation over the bumps,rather than a "thud---thud" as you pass over irregularities.

But when I got home,the bad news hit.....
Turns out a former co-worker and friend was killed on his DP bike last evening.A 72 year old lady in a Jag turned left and pulled out in front of him on a county highway.....he had no chance to react and was killed on the spot.
The shit part of it was,about 5 years ago,he was a volunteer firefighter and working at my equiment rental shop.One night,after a long day's work he misjudged his fatigue and fell asleep at the wheel of his truck and slammed into an Oak tree.
His own fire/rescue squad arrived and rescued him,but he almost died,came an inch from losing a leg and was told he'd definately never walk again.After 2+ years of rehab,learning how to walk again and dealing with excrutiating pain and horrible scars,he was fully mobile again and was riding/working.It really saddens me to see someone who overcame such incredible odds and horrific injuries,struck down again,by such terrible luck.Everyone,please be careful out there!!!
My friend,Brian Fletcher,only 27 years old,but you lived a lifetime........
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 10:03:27 PM »
RIP sad to hear mate!
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 06:39:15 AM »
Jesus Christ.... what an awful story.  RIP...
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.mulcahey.com
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 11:10:17 AM »
Sorry for your loss.  :sad:

G

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 02:04:37 PM »
Sorry to hear that.

I think people's driving ability should be checked on a yearly basis after they hit age 65. They should be checked for their response times in surprise maneuver situations. Unfortunately this system is too ignorant to do exactly this.

Unless people have remained physically active and fit, their ability in old age to do things like DRIVE become quite impeded and they become dangerous at such activities. I had a woman in that age group almost rear-end one day in broad daylight.

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 12:03:40 AM »
That highway is notorious for elderly wrecks since the large "active adult" community of Oakmont,is nearby.Its affectionately called Croakmont,since an ambulance or coroners van is a regular sight there.The communities are already in a furball about the issue,and Im sure it will come up on Friday at the memorial.
Being a fire and rescue worker,and living in the area,Brian was witness to many accidents,some of them involving the large Oak trees along the highway,like the one he hit.He died less than a mile from the tree that nearly killed him.The anniversary of that wreck was not long ago,and each year since the wreck,he would carve his initials into that tree.

Ive been riding all my life,as does the rest of my family.....Im gonna keep riding,regardless. :motorsmile: People dont stop fishing after boats sink,and they dont stop skiing after people die in avalanches.No reason to stop riding,despite the fact I have one less riding buddy now........
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline jodyvan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 12:25:49 AM »
Sorry to hear that it's terrible. I'm still lucky I didn't get hurt in my ditch 6 weeks ago. Puts things in perspective hearing a sad story like that.

RIP man...
91 Bandit GSF400VM Japan import

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 10:03:30 AM »
the guy i bought my leathers from in the UK obviously had never worn them i got a high dollars suit for 3-400 shipped from UK (texport) I asked why he sold them he said he got in a accident with out them on on the street and was hit by a car full body cast for a year.
WEAR YOUR GEAR!!! :stickpoke:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol