Author Topic: got myself an sv650s!  (Read 4170 times)

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
got myself an sv650s!
« on: May 28, 2008, 07:31:35 AM »
Don't kick me out yet though, I've still got the bandit. :wink:

It's a yellow 1999 sv650s (the curvy model, I don't like the newer pointy sv's so much and they're more expensive) with 43,000km.

I've only had the sv a couple of weeks now, so have only ridden it a bit. It's really different to the bandit and different to what I'm used to. My first bike (yamaha fzx250) and the bandit are both naked inline 4's with standard bars, no fairing, stock exhausts.
The sv's got a Two Brother's muffler, so it's fairly loud. It's the sv650s so has a fairing and lower clip ons. Plus it's a v-twin so the feel of the engine is completely different. It's got way more engine braking, blipping the throttle on downshifts seems pretty much essential, whereas on the bandit I don't have to blip so carefully. The rev limiter cuts in at 10,500rpm and the torque delivery is quite different to the bandit. I've been told you have to "short shift" sv's (changing up before the revs get too high) but it's going to take me a while to get used to it.
I like the idea of the twin, less valves to check and adjust, slightly simpler, etc. I think it'll take a while before I learn to ride it properly and appreciate it's power delivery though.

It's my first bike with clip-ons too. I tried some clip ons briefly on the bandit, but the reach was too much of a stretch forwards, worse than sports bikes that were made for clip ons (they were after market ones that clamped under the top triple clamp). I've still got to see how I cope on a longer ride on the sv, it's not as much of a stretch as the aftermarket clip ons on the bandit but there's definitely more weight on my wrists.

I kind of think that clip ons and fairings are mostly there for looks because people want bikes that look like race bikes. The only advantage I can figure out for clip ons is they're in a slightly better position when you're crouched over the tank racing than standard bars would be. And most fairings (including the sv fairing, even with the upswept givi screen my one has) are too small to protect you from the wind unless you're in a racing crouch again.

But I want to see if I can get used to clip ons and fairings. I'd be limiting myself from far too many bikes if I decided fairings and clip ons were impractical except for racing.

So the sv is quite a different beast to what I'm used to.

One of the previous owners must've used it for touring because they had a pack rack on it. I'm intending to use it for weekend rides and trackdays, so I've removed that. I found a screw was missing that was supposed to hold the tail under tray to the subframe which has resulted in a snapped tab/bracket on the fairing. There's also cracks around both indicators on the front fairings from being dropped at standstill by the looks of things since there aren't any scratches on the exhaust/frame/pegs etc. So I get to do a bit of plastic welding with the soldering iron and a modified tip. I've done the rear bracket, still have to do the indicators. And I want to check the valve clearances, check the compression (just so I know where it's at for future reference), check/adjust the suspension sag, give it a clean etc. It's got heated grips on it which I'm not entirely sure about. The wires look like they might get in the way a bit and they're not the sort of thing you have on a bike that's meant to go fast. :wink: But they might come in handy on the long cold ride to trackdays at Taupo, so for now at least I'm leaving them.

I'm thinking I'll keep the bandit and see how it goes with the sv. I'm looking forward to getting to know it, and I really like the design - the frame, engine (except the oil pickup preventing me learning to wheelie), even the fairing and the yellow. :wink:

The bandit still puts a smile on my face though. It's a fun bike to ride and I'm really comfortable on it. I still want to do more track days on it when I get some better tyres to stop me crashing...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 07:37:01 AM by erik »

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: got myself an sv650s!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:38:53 AM »
 :congrats:

SVs are very cool bikes.  I would have preferred one to my Ninja but I just fell into a deal on it.  I love the v-twin tourque and sound a lot.  Having the power down low like that makes so much more sense on the street.  With the Ninja...  commuting, I'm rarely in the real power.  It always surprises me when I do get up in the teens on the tach.  The aftermarket support is great for the SV, too.  Check out svrider.com.  Great site with a lot of super-knowledgable people.

One note from a maintenance perspective...  you may have half as many valves but you have twice as many valve covers/gaskets and twice as many cams to deal with.  I've only been inside the motor of an SV once but it seemed like kind of a trade-off. 

Good luck!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 11:45:26 AM »
Looks nice. Is that birdshit on the passenger seat? :stickpoke:

I've been looking around for an older SV 650, the non-S model. I want the more upright seating, as I tend to take long rides (just made a 330 mile jaunt this past Saturday). I like the older curvier look as well. I'd love to find a metallic red '99 model in good shape.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 12:29:19 PM »
slap some flat-slides on them and bam instant big power gain 72hp with nothing else and they do like to rev, I just don't like them to easy to ride... :banghead: Id rather  :rant2: over my aging beauty  :beers: happy  :motorsmile:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 05:01:32 PM »
One note from a maintenance perspective...  you may have half as many valves but you have twice as many valve covers/gaskets and twice as many cams to deal with.  I've only been inside the motor of an SV once but it seemed like kind of a trade-off.

A parallel twin would solve those problems, like the ER-6/ninja650. I was considering one and actually a 2007 slightly damaged naked model came up for sale just before I bought the sv. But I decided to stick with the sv. :grin:

Looks nice. Is that birdshit on the passenger seat? :stickpoke:

I noticed that too. I think it might be a spot of sunlight shining through the trees...

happy  :motorsmile:

Thanks

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 05:58:05 AM »
Oh and BTW - I'm right there with you on the first gen's!  Good looking bikes! 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 01:02:18 AM »
Enjoy the new ride.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.