Author Topic: GSF 250 VVT problem  (Read 2698 times)

Offline raptorsc

• Board Homesteader!
GSF 250 VVT problem
« on: February 04, 2006, 03:53:06 AM »
Well until today the weapon has served me well but the VVT mechanism or rather the electrics of it have given up the ghost.

The coil for the hydraulic valve that operates the VVT mechanism is in fine condition as is all the wiring and fuses so I can only assume the problem is within the engine managment electrics. If anyone can tell me the pin resistance values for the Pink wire and the orange blue stripe wire I would be extremely thankful. Those 2 wires come directly from the VVT coil back to the management blackbox.

How the thing works is the coil is fully powered the whole time the bike is running under 8000rpm and this holds the hydraulic valve in its low speed position, then obviously when it goes over 8000rpm power to one of the coil wires is switched off and the valve pin in coil returns to high speed position with the assistance of an internal spring and redirects the oil flow to alter the position of the VVT mechanism. Its all quite simple actually except for the fact that my black box isn't delivering any current along the earth side of the power to VVT coil. If I measure with multimeter there is full 13V or so but soon as I connect coil it goes to nothing almost. I have tested coil alone and it works fine and draws very little current without getting hot doing anything else not normal.

So I feel fairly certain I have an issue with the black box electronics, after seeing how they can be repaired on the 400 thread to solve the ignition dramas I am wondering if anyone has discovered the fix for the 250 with VVT power out problems?????

I will contact dealer for the info but in the meantime if anyone know it let me know:)
2000 GSF250V

Australia

Offline raptorsc

• Board Homesteader!
VVT
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 08:20:00 AM »
Well the black box is still on the blink, so I have a manual VVT override switch now installed for starting and low rpm torque, once warmed up I switch it manually to the hi lift setting. Sort of a "push to pass" arrangement. Working very well and the $5 switch probably saved me a $1000 black box replacment.
2000 GSF250V

Australia

Offline Greg

• TURBO TYPER!
GSF 250 VVT problem
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 07:26:16 PM »
Sweet  :grin: