Author Topic: coolant and engine heat  (Read 2566 times)

Offline stefanoascari

• TURBO TYPER!
coolant and engine heat
« on: May 19, 2012, 12:46:59 AM »
Hi,
I've never had a liquid cooled motorcycle. I just replaced the coolant and have just a couple of questions.

It's summer and I haven't ridden this bike (gsf 400) on warm days until recently and noticed the engine was pretty warm.  Do liquid cooled engines still get pretty hot?

Also, I'm trying to determine the right amount of coolant. I filled the radiator then ran the engine for a bit. Now the reservoir tank is pretty full (it's hard to read the gauge) but there is also some coolant on the radiator end. Is there too much? Should I just take it to a mechanic?

Thank you.

Stefano

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: coolant and engine heat
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 06:34:08 AM »
Yup liquid cooled motors still get plenty hot. It's great on hot summer days sitting in traffic having the motor melt your legs and then the rad fan turns on and blows hot air in your face. :) unless your temp light is coming on I wouldn't worry about it.

I wouldn't stress too much about the level in the resivior. As long as there's some coolant there your good. If there's too much coolant it'll just burb out onto the street which isnt a big deal.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 03:13:12 PM »
If the reservoir tank is still full after it fully cools down, then maybe drain some of that out and you're good.

Yes, the B4 will get hot to ride on a hot day. But it should run the same, more or less, on a hot day as on a cool day since the engine temp is controlled by the thermostat/radiator instead of the ambient air temperature.

A

Offline stefanoascari

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 11:11:39 AM »
Thanks everyone for the infos. I've been running the bike for a while now and it actually seems to be running cooler than before the change so I think it's good.