Author Topic: GSF400 Running Rough and Backfiring  (Read 9514 times)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: GSF400 Running Rough and Backfiring
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 12:49:45 PM »
Did you prime your carbs? Turn the fuel tap switch vertical (if there is a screw in the wait, remove it) for 30 seconds and try again. If this isn't clear search the forum. There's a good post somewhere on fuel tap operation.

It would take A LOT of cranking to fill the float bowls!!
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Demilus

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 01:02:18 PM »
If there is a screw in the wait?  There is a hole with threads between the res and the up positions, but no screw.  Also, is there any way to see if my float bowls are full without taking the carbs off?

And I just checked my plugs again.  They're soaked!  What the heck?!  Could My coils or something be bad?  I get plenty of sparks.  When my plugs are outside the engine.

Thanks,
Kurt
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 01:35:34 PM by Demilus »

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 02:37:42 PM »
THat hole with threads is where there would normally be a screw to prevent you from going from reserve to prime. I don't know why they do that, but whatever :annoy:

Anyway, you should be good without it in.

The single most important thing to remember when working on this stuff is... only do one thing at a time! Otherwise you'll never know what you did to fix something.  WIth that out of the way, here's the primer on fuel flow.

The fuel tap works like this. Down position (all the way counterclockwise, 6:00) is normal "on" position. reserve position, a quarter turn clockwise from "on", or 9:00,  should be avoided like the plague... seriously. it can suck the gunk from the bottom of the tank into the carbs with an ensuing disaster. The straight up position, prime, is one quarter turn clockwise from reserve, or 12:00. Only use this when the float bowls are dry.

The "on" fuel position only lets fuel run when the engine is pulling vacuum, that is running or cranking on the starter. This prevents fuel from accidentally just draining out all the time. Prime position just lets fuel run out all the time. If you've got a stuck float or float needle, it will just drain all your gas out through the carb and into the engine. Don't ever leave the bike in prime. Only use it for filling the float bowls when you need it and then switch back to "on". (caveat, there are times when prime is useful, like when you've got the tank propped off to the side so you can fsck with stuff with the bike running. Be sure to plug the vacuum line from #1 in this case).

So first thing to check is the operation of the fuel tap. Pull the tank and set it somewhere stable, fuel safe. With the tank sitting in it's normal configuration, and the fuel tap in the on position, there should be NO FUEL coming out anywhere. If that is the case, then good, otherwise, you need a new fuel tap. Put a tube on the vacuum inlet (small straight tube coming out of fuel tap). Suck on the tube a little bit :stop: (warning warning warning!! you may get fuel in your mouth!!! This is very bad advice! you have been warned!). Fuel should flow out the FUEL outlet and nowhere else. If you get fuel in your mouth, you need a new fuel tap, or at least a new membrane inside it. Go wash your mouth out and don't tell anyone you just gulped a bunch of gasoline. Gasoline is poisonous!! I am not responsible!! Don't mess around with this part!

If you want to, you can test the prime position. Fuel should just flow out the outlet.

If you've confirmed your fuel tap is working properly, then you can move down to the floats and float needles.

The floats move up and down as the fuel level in the bowls moves up and down. This pushes on the float needles and allows fuel to flow, or not, into the float bowl. The o-ring around the two tubular parts of the float assembly, where it plugs into the bottom of the carb body, prevent fuel from sneaking around the float needle. If they don't fit snugly, with no cracks, replace them. Probably smart to replace them anyway. The float needle must move freely in its plastic tube. It's a two part action. The float needle assembly slides in the plastic tube, should move freely. Then the needle itself moves in the assembly with a spring loaded action. That last little bit of movement is what closes the valve. If that doesn't move right, or there is any gunk in there, you need to fix it. You may have to actually pry the floats out of the frame and then pull the whole needle assembly out to get some of the grit out. Also make sure there is no grit in the fuel line or the passageways in the carbs themselves. Any grit there will eventually clog the float needle open. Finally, especially if you have to pull the floats out of their frames, you need to check the float level. With the float upside down and resting naturally under it's own weight, the top of the float should be 15mm above the flange where it sits in the carb. Google on adjusting float height for more details.

If you have wet spark plugs but are getting spark, you most certainly have a problem that will be solved by the above procedure. You are getting too much fuel, somewhere it is just running into the engine. If the above doesn't fix it, then you've got bigger problems or modifications that we don't know about.

good luck and keep plugging away.

A

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 04:51:52 PM »
buy new plugs
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2008, 10:43:17 AM »
If there is a screw in the wait?  There is a hole with threads between the res and the up positions, but no screw.  Also, is there any way to see if my float bowls are full without taking the carbs off?

"Way" sorry typo... long week. If you plugs are WET you've probably got fuel in the bowls. 
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Demilus

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 09:12:37 AM »
One last question:  After rebuilding the carbs, do I need to adjust them or have them tuned?  This is keeping them in a block of four, not dismantling them completely.

Thanks,
-Kurt

Offline sclenz

• Board Regular!
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 01:31:24 PM »
Well . i hate to tell you this but for me when my Bandit did the exact same thing it turned out to be the CDI box. Of course check out the simple things. Check coils, signal generator(off of crank)spark plug wires, spark plugs etc. After 2 months of looking it came down to being the CDI box inder the seat. Replaced it and walla.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 01:45:21 PM »
shudder....

it could be.

Demilus: often you'll need to synch the carbs after this kind of work. And the air-fuel always seems to need tweaking on mine.

A

Offline Tainted-Meat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 10:55:09 AM »
you havn't forgot anything from the carbs ? ?? ?

take plugs out, take away from bike, clean sparkys,

tap each carb on top with handle of screwdriver, not too hard this'll make sure the floats are not sticking.

press strater button MAKE SURE SPARK LEADS ARE OUT OF WAY. if you are worried about fire HAVE SMALL EXTINGUISHER AT HAND (CARBON DIOXIDE). as long as you take your time nothing will catch alight

suck on vacum pipe going to back of fuel tap, that'll fill each carbfloat bowel,  use a pipe,

leave for few mins before putting sparkplugs in after checking gap (i think it should be 0.80 mm)

if it was working beforehand this will fix it,

i'm working on my carbs at the moment, before i removed them from the bikei ran out of petrol and because of the fuel tap needing a vacum it wouldn't quite fill the carbs up but did make for a expensive ciggy lighter
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.