Author Topic: Help me identify this tripple tree top yoke.  (Read 3193 times)

Offline freddyb

• New user!
Help me identify this tripple tree top yoke.
« on: May 02, 2007, 12:43:51 PM »
Hello.  For starters, I'm pretty new to working on motorcycles so I might not use the correct terminology.  Feel free to correct me.

I'm hoping you folks can help me identify this upper yoke (or clamp or whatever it's called) from the tripple on a project bike that I'm working on.  I'd guess it's from a US model bandit 400 or GSX-R400 but I'm really not sure.

As you can see in the pic, the handlebar risers are halfway cut off.  The previous owner of the bike left the project in a pretty sad state and I guess he didn't get around to cutting them off all the way.  He was running a setup with clipons and I'd like to go back to regular old bars.  So, basically I need to identify the pictured part and replace it with one that hasn't been mangled.

The forks are the regular type (non-inverted) and the diameter is 41mm.  Based on the size of the bar risers, I'd guess they should accept a bar with a diameter of about 23mm.  The hole for the vertical part of the tripple is about 21 or 22mm according to my vernier calipers.

Is this an easy part to find?  If anyone has one available that they'd like to sell, I sure would appreciate it.  I suppose I'll also need the top clamps for the handlebar risers as well as some bars.  For the bars, I'm not too particular about the rise, sweep, etc.  If anyone has any of these available, let me know.

You can contact here or by email. soonerbh at gmail dot com.  Thanks!

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 12:48:01 PM »
I have a top yoke like that but im in the uk if yo want it let me know and ill work out postage rates.

Offline freddyb

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 12:55:38 PM »
Hello Banditmax.  Thanks for the reply.  I sent you a PM.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 01:07:39 PM »
lol good show . That's a bandit 400 triple clamp and unless i'm not seeing the whole picture it is not sawed you just need the top clamps for the handle bars he prolly took them off if was running clip ons. Gsxr 400 never sold in the US just a fyi mate
cheers
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 01:21:40 PM »
Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"
That's a bandit 400 triple clamp and unless i'm not seeing the whole picture it is not sawed you just need the top clamps for the handle bars he prolly took them off if was running clip ons.

+1
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 01:25:36 PM »
You just need the tops of the clamps assuming the threads aren't toast.  I guess if they are, you could re-tap them.

BTW - the bar is just a standard diameter handlebar - 7/8ths of an inch, I believe.  The possibilities are almost limitless.  You can get everything from extreme-drop cafe racer bars to flat drag bars to high-rise bars.  You just have to watch how much rise and pullback you have.  The wires to the controls are only so long.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline freddyb

• New user!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 01:28:37 PM »
If you click the pictures it will show you a larger view and you can see where he sawed half-way through one riser and started into the other.  There's not enough "meat" on the riser for me to be comfortable clamping a bar to it.

But you're right, the previous owner was running the clip-ons with his setup.  It's just not for me.

Thanks everyone for confirming the identity of the part.

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 02:49:25 PM »
Quote from: "freddyb"
If you click the pictures it will show you a larger view and you can see where he sawed half-way through one riser

Ohhh, ya, I see it now.  Too bad.  I have a friend that has a Bandit that someone did that too and it looks AWFUL.  If you cut the risers off flush, then it makes holes in your triple clamp.

I recently found and purchased this on Ebay

Maybe Jay could tell you what model Bandit they come from.

Offline freddyb

• New user!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 03:07:40 PM »
Since I'm looking to go back to bars instead of clip-ons, I need the stock US Bandit top yoke with the handlebar risers intact.

I'm trying to work something out with Banditmax since it sounds like he has what i need, but he's shipping from the UK so if someone on my continent has the part it would probably be cheaper and easier.

I'll try my luck in the parts for sale/wanted forum.  Thanks!

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 10:45:42 PM »
Im finishing up my USD conversion,so Ive got all that stuff.I should probably wait until Ive ridden my new conversion before parting with any stock B4 parts,but if your not in a huge hurry,it should only be a week or two.
Lemme know what you need from the frontend and I can box it up and get you a fair price.
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline freddyb

• New user!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 09:39:18 AM »
turbofb, thanks for the offer.  Yesterday I chatted with member meehacker and he's shipping out this beauty today:

So, I'll throw it in with the batch of parts that are going to the powder coater and it'll be better than new.