Author Topic: Overheating?  (Read 4503 times)

Offline Ronrdrcr

• Board Homesteader!
Overheating?
« on: September 27, 2005, 11:15:12 AM »
I was driving home from work yesterday, and while stuck in traffic the temp light came on.  I finally got it up to hwy speeds and it went out.  I just figured that it was the traffic and no airflow over the radiator.  When I went to warm it up this morning on my way to work, the light came on again.  I checked the service manual and it says I have to remove the gas tank to get to the radiator fill tube.  Is this true, or is there an easier way.

Ron
2006 Kawaasaki Z1000, Corbin seats, CRG mirrors, clear alternatives smoked taillight, Metzler M3 tires, and even more smiles!!!
92 Bandit 400
going to the wifey

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Overheating?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 12:03:44 PM »
If you haven't changed your coolant in a while, it would be best to drain everything and refill. Taking off the tank really isn't a big deal.

However if you want a quick fix you can refill your overflow bottle, warm up your engine, and repeat until the bike won't take any more coolant. The overflow bottle is located under the seat near the battery.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Overheating?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 12:13:56 PM »
Another question. Did your radiator fan come on before the temp light? Sounds like your fan might not be working...
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline Ronrdrcr

• Board Homesteader!
Overheating?
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 12:14:38 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'll have to check it out when I go to lunch here in a minute.

How hard is it to remove the gas tank, and it probably needs to be close to empty right?

Ron
2006 Kawaasaki Z1000, Corbin seats, CRG mirrors, clear alternatives smoked taillight, Metzler M3 tires, and even more smiles!!!
92 Bandit 400
going to the wifey

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Overheating?
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 12:18:18 PM »
Quote from: "Ronrdrcr"
Thanks for the info.  I'll have to check it out when I go to lunch here in a minute.

How hard is it to remove the gas tank, and it probably needs to be close to empty right?

Ron

To remove the tank all you need to do is remove 2 bolts and 2 hoses. If you fuel tap is okay, it doesn't matter how much gas is in the tank. Although it's definately lighter with less petrol in it.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Overheating?
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 12:19:28 PM »
He just bought this bike a little bit ago.
  Yeah, he needs to change the coolant out....no telling how old it is..   Are there any other radiator related preventive maintenance things he needs to do?
  What do you 400 guys use to flush out the system, if anything?
  Hose checks...etc.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
Overheating?
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 12:27:48 PM »
Quote from: "PeteSC"
What do you 400 guys use to flush out the system, if anything? Hose checks...etc.

Disconnect the lowest hose on the system and drain it, stick a garden hose at the highest point and turn it on (not so much that it overflows). Run until the water runs clear, check all the hoses for 'swelling' or cracks, reassemble and refill. (Dunno if thats proper, thats what I did though)

I'd check the radiator fan too, you should be able to tell when it's running. When I lived in Orlando I never had the bike overheat in the dead of summer. You may also want to consider checking the thermostat when you drain the system, it's possible that it's not opening all the way.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Ronrdrcr

• Board Homesteader!
Overheating?
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 12:31:40 PM »
I'll check all of this stuff out when I get home tonight, thanks guys.

Ron
92 Bandit 400
going to the wifey